multiple driver HT sub ..how to design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cloth Ears said:
Floor mounted only, or on feet, or 'upright' (firing out both sides)? Have you made one or are you just throwing up ideas?
JinMTVT said:
tell me more about your new design,,,just want to understand it a bit
i can see what it is, but i do not understand the purpose

This is still a thot experiment i've been working on for a while. Mounting the push-push, push-pull pair in the centre of the torus overcomes one of the problems with the design, having the backs of the drivers visible. It does introduce some significant construction challenges.

1/ the push-pull pairs will have lowered 2nd order distortion
2/ the push-push pair (of compound driver) will actively cancel newtonian forces and dramatically reduce box loading.
3/ isobarik means 4 drivers fit into the voilume of 1 driver

The donut hole could be oriented any direction, but you would get a bit of mass loading if one side was closed off and the cavity resonance would decrease in frequency (1/4 wave instead of 1/2 wave) bringing it closer to the operating frequency of the device (but probably not enuff to be significant)

If one put it up on legs and added a similarily offset table-top, it could make an interesting table (i keep speculating on whether the reduction in box load would be sufficient to be able to use it as a TT platform -- i know that is like playing with fire, but still interesting.

dave

JinMTVT said:
The HT room is in the basement ..
all of what i have for a basement is already taken up to the square foot since the garage is also part of the basement ( takes 30 by 25 + walls )

and i will have no attic ( flat roof walkable ..)

If you've got the HT and the garage on the basement level, then you could use your garage as your IB enclosure. It'll be big enough.

Cloth Ears said:

If you've got the HT and the garage on the basement level, then you could use your garage as your IB enclosure. It'll be big enough.

brilliant idea!!!
it is not contiguous..but i can try and make space for some big passage or something ..mmmm
i'll see what i can come up with from the house plans ..

what is the minimum area the "passage" can be ?

i suppose total SD?

JinMTVT said:
brilliant idea!!!
it is not contiguous..but i can try and make space for some big passage or something ..mmmm
i'll see what i can come up with from the house plans ..

what is the minimum area the "passage" can be ?

i suppose total SD?

How about posting a quick sketch of the basement level? You may not have to do any re-working (except that one of your walls might have to be a bit firmer than expected). Is the construction in your basement all-brick, concrete, or some other construction (interior walls only, of course)?

exterior and most interior walls will be ICF
( isolated concrete forms ) of around 8" of concrete and 2-2" of foam ..

i do not think that i willl have an issue with flexing..but i could brace the cavity that would be use for venting to the garage

i'll try and post a plan of the basement later on..

JinMTVT said:
i'll try and post a plan of the basement later on..

Excellent. That will give some of us a chance to work out "mysterious" ways for an IB set-up. Also, your comment about "make space for some big passage or something" tweaks my imagination - you may have room in the walls for a horn or 2 after all.

But, once we've seen the plans, it will all become clearer.

One last thing, is it built yet? Or in the process of being built? Or finalised and awaiting construction? Or still in the planning stage and able to be changed?

The house is still in planning stage..but i need to start construction ASAP
i wanted to get all the walls and windows up and isntalled for december ..now it seems more like only walls and stuff up ..no windows
( having some difficulties with what i wanted for windows...can't find a damn manufacturor that will sell me some LCD tintable windows .. aren't we in 2007? )

here is a quick shitty layout plan
and a quick 3d for dimensions ..the garage fl0oor is 4 feet higher than the rest of the basement ..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

OK in the wall adjacent the HT room and the area labelled "Service 10 par 18" in yellow, make two holes. Position and exact size you'll need to work out depending on details we don't have.

Look to the desiggn ideas linked below. Buy 4 or 8 of the Dayton 15 or 18 from Parts Express and make a manifold with the drivers opposed to cancell as much mechanical vibration as possible. Lots of detail design possibilities there.

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-Gallery.html
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/
http://diy.cowanaudio.com/ib.html

JinMTVT said:
( having some difficulties with what i wanted for windows...can't find a damn manufacturor that will sell me some LCD tintable windows .. aren't we in 2007? )
I know the feeling...
JinMTVT said:
here is a quick shitty layout plan
and a quick 3d for dimensions ..the garage fl0oor is 4 feet higher than the rest of the basement ..
I can't see the 3d (my work's net nanny again). I'll have a look at home. From the 2D it looks like you could use the 10x18 servcie area, but I'll have a look at the 3D first...

Brett said:
OK in the wall adjacent the HT room and the area labelled "Service 10 par 18" in yellow, make two holes. Position and exact size you'll need to work out depending on details we don't have.

Cloth Ears said:
From the 2D it looks like you could use the 10x18 servcie area, but I'll have a look at the 3D first...

Yup, this looks fine (as an idea). What's the wall between the service area and the HT room going to be made of, and what is the service area going to contain (both permanent fixtures and temporary storage)? If the area of the wall where the 's'of service is going to be free, then mounting a number of drivers in the wall here would be a good place for the baffle. I am assuming that the stairs continue from the garage up to the next floor, correct?

yes the stairs go up ..i just hid the geometry so we can see the walls better
the service room walls are completly filled already with electrical stuff and air exchanger and stuff
i do not think that i will have any of this space available

then, i do not wish to make a manifold and put all of the woofers in that manifold, i have the space and i want to have the speakers on front baffle near the edge of the screen

but i could use the space behind the drivers to make a rear manifold that could go to the garage ..not sure how i'lll do that .

could always add a double wall in front of the service room that will lead to the garage..but that'll show on front of the house and i have stairs and stuff outside at that spot that i would need to move

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Given the ICF construction, and the physically separated garage, i think using it as the IB is out -- any manifold would have undesired transmission line properties.

So it is either a false wall in the HT room ... or -- how far below ground does the HT room reach (if the garage is 4' higher then one would guess you have 4 ft of dirt outside the HT room)? One could build an enclosure underground out of ICF and bury it with lawn.... a big TL would work or just space for an IB. I've even seen horns with the horn out in the yard. To keep the drivers visible it would need folding and you wouldn't have as much room for mistakes.

dave

Hi,
low bass and sub-bass are not directional.
You don't need the "big" speakers beside the screen. They could be on a side wall.
They also do not need to fill a side wall. They can all be mounted into a plenum and the opening of the plenum projects through the side wall.
Five 18inch drivers could be mounted on a 20inch cube and the sixth side is the hole in the service wall producing the low bass.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett said:
Sorry Dave but a 20" cube with 4 drivers on it, mounted on the wall will be fine, venting into the 10x18 service area. No need to go the the garage. All of this is underground, no?

That would work fine, but Jin had suggested that the service room was not suitable for other reasons. Myself i'd figure a way to make it work, it is close to ideal

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.