Dayton, SilverFlute, or Foster for my "subs" ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not really subs in the strict way, I am trying to get a decent response form 30 to 400Hz. Bigger drivers are more expensive and two smaller drivers per channel may do better in the higher end.

So I have sorted this out (I started from the ones available from Madisound to save on shipping):

Silver flute 8", 8 Ohm, fs 31, was 83l, qts= 0.233(!), very good BL/mass ratio. price $31

Foster NHT 10" fs 23, vas 82l, qts =.394, sensitivity is only 84.5dB, 6db less as the other two drrivers. price $49

Then there are the Daytons: the reference 8" seems quite ok, fs 42, Qts 0.50, vas 29 l (smallest enclosure of the three),price $40

The silver flute has the highest Bl/mms ratio (by a factor of 4!) against the other two.

With any of them I would use two per channel with no proble, as they are all in the 30-40 dollar range. The total Sd of two 8"ers is equivalent with a 12 inch driver. Doubling the 10" gives 1/3 more surface area (Sd).

Hi,

the NHT's will give excellent bass in 2 to 3 cuft sealed and around
4 cuft vented tunes to 20Hz per pair of drivers. The S.F's are more
efficient but the bass does not compare at all, does not do 30Hz.

Your Dayton numbers are wrong, around 3 cuft tuned to 26Hz.

:)/sreten.

I'm working on some sonosubs with the NHTs. 2 subs, tuned Chebyshev @ abt 20Hz. 3.1 ft^3 per enclosure or so, abt. 22 inch port 4" diameter. Used 12" sonotube, braced it, gave it ribs (aluminum U rail attached on the outside). Still finishing the 'box', acrylic primer under appliance epoxy (black).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.