Did I see a thread, Linkwitz Transform for a reflex?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting tosay the least.

I can understand all the pitfalls of doing this. At the end of the day, I always read that a ported box is smaller than its equivillent sealed, a ported is louder, thats why evey cheapo megawatt, Matsui, plastic, all in one with a 3 band Graphic Eq used them.:D

The LT in a sealed box gave a small box for the driver to sound as good in a larger box. Also lends itself to the need for less timber as bracing isn't really required, so its lighter,( important for mobile use car or PA). Plus, yep its possible to use the driver below its Fs and the possible downside is a massive amp to drive it.

I was looking at the reasons why every manufacturer and his dog, used ports on there boxes. Small box, maybe not nessarcerily a big amp, because the ported box was louder, but chiefly thinking, maybe theres a way around that steep roll off too.

Richie00boy (Hello Sir), LT in the car is ideal, just the benefits of LT and port to give a smaller box, means more room in the car than the equivellent sealed and a lighter load. Maybe this would be a key factor with Mobile DJ's too. I've done some "Roadying", for a DJ, done my back in many a time on those 15's he had. Four in the back of a long wheel-base Transit, decks, light rigs, records, cds and players, amps and stands with a couple of boxes of cable to boot!:D

But not trying to get out of this forum, splitting between Car and PA, but home use would come into it.

And lastly, can I just add, my Mordaunt Short MS40's have their ports stuffed with my wife's dish cloths. Could she have these back?, and could the ports come back into use, if I changed my Sealed LT for a Reflex? Or more likely, what would happen there?

Cheers, somthing interesting to read is always enjoyable. Thankyou

Mike:)

Re: Interesting tosay the least.

mikee55 said:
I always read that a ported box is smaller than its equivillent sealed, a ported is louder, thats why evey cheapo megawatt, Matsui, plastic, all in one with a 3 band Graphic Eq used them.:D

A ported box is usually larger than it's sealed counterpart. However, as you note the ported box will go louder and with less drive, and have a lower -3dB point. That is why they are popular in consumer electronics - bang for buck.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Svante said:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by non-optimal size?

Hi Svante,
Wow, port must be long.
Isn't it true that driver specs dictate the size box, length port, diameter port?
There is an optimal size enclosure for any driver in a vented system to give best results.

I read through the Bob Cordell article (which I found before but didn't read). He pans the other methods of bass equalization as brute force approach or requiring too much amp power to drive, while promoting an equalized vented solution.
I don't think there are too many who believe vented speakers sound better than sealed.
Disadvantages of a vented box: poor transient response, port noise, double impedance peaks, increased size and over-excursion below Fb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.