My throw-together cheap subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rush...

yeah, I'm always fighting that internal "war" with myself... I tend to rush too. I started on these Sunday afternoon (Feb 1st)!
I plan on adding 4 or 5 more braces from panel to panel on the sides... hopefully that will stiffen them up enough. Since there is 8 giant holes to work with, I should be able to get in there to brace them up a little more, ha ha.
-NS

NS- Can you redo the photo, but with you wearing a wifebeater?

More seriously, it looks like adding some 2x4 braces will be a snap with your construction. Don't sweat high frequency modes, just get the panels so they won't flex much in the range where you're driving the system.

I see that you've arrived at my philosophy of bass enhancement via room volume reduction.

SY said:
NS- Can you redo the photo, but with you wearing a wifebeater?

More seriously, it looks like adding some 2x4 braces will be a snap with your construction. Don't sweat high frequency modes, just get the panels so they won't flex much in the range where you're driving the system.

I see that you've arrived at my philosophy of bass enhancement via room volume reduction.

I'm afraid you lost me on the "wifebeater" part...???

As far as room volume reduction goes... if you mean by having a lot of useless junk in my living space, well then yes. If you mean making the speaker a significant volume of the living space, then yes again.
;)
I will be adding some more cross bracing tonight... the resonance that's left is a little too low in frequency. I'd rather be overcautious. I hate muddy bass!
I will also be stuffing the enclosure, so that should damp the higher resonances out fairly well.
BTW, did anyone notice the seats out of the '69 buick skylark behind me in the picture? That's some fine hillibilly (excuse me for not being PC- I mean appalachian american) furniture! I thought someone would have caught that by now, haha.
-NS

SY, do you have a link where I can find Arthur Brown's articles? I tried searching for them but I didn't find anything and I don't have access to old Speaker Builder issues. :bawling:

I'm very interested in the subwoofer feedback theory but I haven't found any good info on the subject anywhere. Does anyone have any other sources besides the one allready mentioned?

/Marcus

NS: Just a joke; the wifebeater is the hiibilly shirt-of-choice, a white sleeveless tank-top style t-shirt. Preferably with beer and sweat stains. The reference to room-volume-reduction was indeed about the cabinet volume!

Marcus: I don't know where Brown's articles are on the web. But back issues of Speaker Builder are, I think, available. The one I used as the basis of my servo circuit is in issue 3, 1989.

And I may have found the defect in Mortensen's circuit design. I'll play around with it over the next few weeks and see if, indeed, I really did find it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.