diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Another tapped "horn" ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/106558-another-tapped-horn.html)

phase_accurate 8th August 2007 02:32 PM

Another tapped "horn" ?

2 Attachment(s)
I don't know it the following topology was already discussed anywhere and if it is useful at all.
Enclosed you will find a drawing of what I came up with.
The walls do not necessarily have to be parallel of course (i.e. the path may be tapered).
The intended principle is that the red part of the path works as as lambda/4 resonator at the upper cutoff frequency - whereas the green part acts as lambda/2 phase delay at this frequency. At the lower cutoff frequency the whole path length would work as lambda/4 resonator.
I am convinced that it would somehow work the way it is intended to at said frequency extremes - although I am not sure how well. And I am completely unsure how it will act between those frequencies. Maybe there will be not output at all or very peaky or whatever.

Regards

Charles

freddi 8th August 2007 04:03 PM

Hi Charles - did you try simulations in Hornresp?

Freddy

phase_accurate 9th August 2007 06:20 AM

No, I didn't. I did not use hornresponse at all so far.
Maybe worth a try.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate 9th August 2007 08:49 AM

OK I downloaded the program and made a few tries.
Very cool and almost self-explanatory if "classical" horns are to be simulated !
But I can't select the "tapped horn wizard" , i.e. there is no way to get this selection highlighted.
What do I have to watch out for ? I set up a flare with conical sections and no back chamber but I can in no way get the "wizard" highlighted.

Regards

Charles

GM 9th August 2007 04:45 PM

Well, when you follow the driver/horn input instructions it will ask you if you want to model a tapped horn when you click 'calculate'........

moray james 9th August 2007 07:20 PM

Those ideas are stolen by the past...

take a look at Arnold Klayman's US patent # 5,177,329 in particular Fig. # 2.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=0oc...ayman,+5177329

Amit_112dB 9th August 2007 07:38 PM

Re: Those ideas are stolen by the past...

Quote:

Originally posted by moray james
take a look at Arnold Klayman's US patent # 5,177,329 in
Yes nice, just had a look, its got nothing to do with a horn, i thinks its similar to a ported enclosure, there we resonate the port here to have a huge chamber to resonate instead, will give max 3db gain as ported systems do, i dont think this is an effective or usefull design
am i thinking right ????

moray james 9th August 2007 07:51 PM

Klayman's drawing shows...

duct with straight sides however a taper could also be used. First drawing is a 1/2 wave device with the second using half and 1/4 wave lines. The similarities to a Tap design are obvious. Remember 1/2 wave length is where a horn gets efficient. These designs are said to be very powerful with a number still in use today.

zobsky 10th August 2007 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by phase_accurate
OK I downloaded the program and made a few tries.
Very cool and almost self-explanatory if "classical" horns are to be simulated !
But I can't select the "tapped horn wizard" , i.e. there is no way to get this selection highlighted.
What do I have to watch out for ? I set up a flare with conical sections and no back chamber but I can in no way get the "wizard" highlighted.

Regards

Charles

Neither can I :(
The program just takes me direct to the calculation results. I\' m sure I\'m forgetting something, ..but what is it?

Thanks

GM 10th August 2007 03:31 AM

Hmm, guess I misunderstood the Q.......... click the EDIT button and now the Tapped Horn Wizard is highlighted. See HELP pg. 9.