Dayton RSS265HF-4 vs Tang Band WT-1427B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not used either of these, but I do have 4 of the RSS315HF, the big brother to the RSS265HF.

The primary difference between the drivers would be the lower non-linear distortion of the Dayton motor. The RSS series have very low distortion and have well designed motors.

The Dayton has 14mm xmax, compared to the TB's 9.5mm, but you probably won't need all that xmax anyways.

The Dayton has a cast frame, the TB is stamped steel. Not the biggest issue, but the Dayton would likely have less mechanical noise at high excursions.

Claimed efficiency is similar, but I would not put alot of weight into comparing efficiencies amongst different manufacturers.

When you get down to it, they are very different drivers. The TB has one very interesting feature and that is it's shallow mounting depth. If this feature is not needed, I would not recommend it over the less expensive and (likely) lower distortion Peerless SLS 830668. Available at Madisound.

Which brings me to my recommendations. For a good, inexpensive, low distortion woofer the 830668 is a good buy. If you are trying to stay at the partsexpress website for the free shipping, and aren't as concerned about the distortion, I've used the 10" Quattro QT255-4 with good results in the past. It's on special for $50 right now. I'm not saying that the TB is a bad woofer. I just think that you pay a premium for the low mounting depth that could be spent on a higher quality woofer if the depth is not an issue.

Best Regards,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.