Subwoofer with 10" High Output Buyout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I am thinking of making a new subwoofer for my home theater. I am looking at P/E's 10" High Output subwoofer. I am thinking of a 100-L box tuned to 20-Hz. It will be used mostly for home theater.

10" High Output Buyout Sub

I would mate it with the 70-Watt plate amp since the woofer runs out of excursion at 50-watts.

70-Watt Plate Amp

The port would be a 3" Precision Port.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 100_liters_fb_20_hz_50w.gif
    100_liters_fb_20_hz_50w.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 245
Yeah, I was modeling this woofer several nights ago when I came across it, just out of curiosity. Being rated at 86 dB/watt @ 1 meter, I'd expect a bit less than that in the range you'll likely be hearing from it the most. And with it hitting xmax with 50 watts, I certainly wouldn't expect very much output from it. However, this is all dependent on the rest of your system, speakers, room, etc. Being as I don't know anything about the rest of your system, I can't really provide my personal opinion on how well it'd together with it. On the other hand, though, $36 is cheap for just about ANY driver. Goldwoods and Funky Pups cost that much, which aren't even useable for anything. This 10", on the other hand, would definitely have a little something to provide. Just don't expect a ton of output, that's all. I'm sure you're already well aware of all this, though. Your tuning looks fine, IMO.

69stingray said:
Hello everyone. I am thinking of making a new subwoofer for my home theater. I am looking at P/E's 10" High Output subwoofer. I am thinking of a 100-L box tuned to 20-Hz. It will be used mostly for home theater.
Thoughts?

Hi,

The driver is designed to be used in a ~ 30L sealed box with plenty of juice.
For a box 3 times bigger and 70 watts there are far better choices.
Generally box size should never be much more than Vas.

:)/sreten.

For just a little bit more you could have a 12" with much higher sensitivity. $39.25 with a claimed 94.0 dB 2.83V/1m with both coils in parallel (4 ohm load).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-490
You would get much more output from that 70W amp with this one, and from about the same size enclosure as you originally planned.

Edit: Just noticed that the 10" HO was sold out too...

Good luck!
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.