Subwoofer with 10" High Output Buyout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2007, 02:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Default Subwoofer with 10" High Output Buyout

Hello everyone. I am thinking of making a new subwoofer for my home theater. I am looking at P/E's 10" High Output subwoofer. I am thinking of a 100-L box tuned to 20-Hz. It will be used mostly for home theater.

10" High Output Buyout Sub

I would mate it with the 70-Watt plate amp since the woofer runs out of excursion at 50-watts.

70-Watt Plate Amp

The port would be a 3" Precision Port.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 100_liters_fb_20_hz_50w.gif (20.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 6th August 2007, 02:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
More info...
Attached Images
File Type: gif impedance.gif (20.0 KB, 207 views)
Old 6th August 2007, 02:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And Finally.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif port_speed.gif (19.8 KB, 205 views)
Old 6th August 2007, 02:30 AM   #4
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I was modeling this woofer several nights ago when I came across it, just out of curiosity. Being rated at 86 dB/watt @ 1 meter, I'd expect a bit less than that in the range you'll likely be hearing from it the most. And with it hitting xmax with 50 watts, I certainly wouldn't expect very much output from it. However, this is all dependent on the rest of your system, speakers, room, etc. Being as I don't know anything about the rest of your system, I can't really provide my personal opinion on how well it'd together with it. On the other hand, though, $36 is cheap for just about ANY driver. Goldwoods and Funky Pups cost that much, which aren't even useable for anything. This 10", on the other hand, would definitely have a little something to provide. Just don't expect a ton of output, that's all. I'm sure you're already well aware of all this, though. Your tuning looks fine, IMO.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I am a little disappointed that @ 50-Watts, it is at 100-dB, which means 94-dB without baffle step increase. For $35, it would be fun to play with, maybe a stereo pair.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:48 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Subwoofer with 10" High Output Buyout

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Hello everyone. I am thinking of making a new subwoofer for my home theater. I am looking at P/E's 10" High Output subwoofer. I am thinking of a 100-L box tuned to 20-Hz. It will be used mostly for home theater.
Thoughts?
Hi,

The driver is designed to be used in a ~ 30L sealed box with plenty of juice.
For a box 3 times bigger and 70 watts there are far better choices.
Generally box size should never be much more than Vas.

/sreten.
Old 6th August 2007, 01:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For just a little bit more you could have a 12" with much higher sensitivity. $39.25 with a claimed 94.0 dB 2.83V/1m with both coils in parallel (4 ohm load).
Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-490
You would get much more output from that 70W amp with this one, and from about the same size enclosure as you originally planned.

Edit: Just noticed that the 10" HO was sold out too...

Good luck!
David
Old 6th August 2007, 11:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I noticed they were sol dout also. I will have to investigate the 12" DVC or just wait for buyout :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!