Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tfreer85
Default HT Speaker/Component Cabinet

Okay, so limited experience in the DIY speaker area and the turboCAD drafting program so, please don't laugh at my drawings . I'm wanting to build a Home theatre Cabinet, to house my equip (HTPC, DVD player, Reiciever, MacMini) and speakers: mids / center channel / sub(s). The CAD drawings are just a basic idea of how things will be setup. The tubes in the back are supposed to be the 2 sonotubes, possibly do just 2 sealed box subs instead (for simplicity sakes). The two boxes in the left/right lower corners are for the 2-way mids, and the box in the center for the Center Channel. There will be heavy insulation between all the speakers. Any ideas pros/cons of this design? The wall its going on is 9 ft long and i want to be able to set my 32" Vizio LCD on top of it. The dimensions included are just kinda rough idea, depth is WAY off... Anyways onward with the pictures:

Side profile:
Click the image to open in full size.

Top Profile:

Front Profile:

Isometric Profile:

Thanks a lot,
Tyson
Old 30th July 2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Petriej is offline Petriej  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks really slick. Have you used WinISD for the subwoofers to make sure you have the necessary dimensions, etc. for what you want?

Also, it looks like a pretty tight fight for all that electrical equipment. Have you thought about magnetic shielding (or interference ) to keep your PC and TV safe? You have stated you'll use lots of insulation, but is that magnetic insulation?

You will probably have to brace this thing pretty well, especially in the middle. At 9' long it will be hefty to move around, are you able to put it together in the room it is designed for or do you have many strong family members to help move it? (EDIT: I realize it may not end up being 9' long, but the weight issue still remains)

Just a couple things that came to my mind as I read your post, so sorry if I am rambling.

What drivers are you going to use for the left/right and center as well as the subs? I know this isn't the loudspeaker/full range section of the forum, but are you concerned about the high frequency drivers not being height aligned with the listening position? Are you going to correct this by angling the front of the left/right 2-ways?

So far I think it looks pretty slick! Should make a nice A/V centerpiece .
Old 31st July 2007, 04:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tfreer85
No I have not used WinISD yet currently on my Mac(s) the Vista HTPC is being touchy about connecting to the internet. I had not though of shielded, but thats a good idea. In my drawings I have not shown any bracing, just a general idea, of speaker layout (I'll work on that tomorrow). I figure the will be bracing similar to this:

[Sub - Mids] /brace/ [center channel - components] /brace/ [Sub - mids]

This braces will run from front to back. I also imagine some bracing going between the Subs and Mids essentially boxing both of them in. (again hopefully have CAD drawings tomorrow). I also thought of the weight thing, what isn't shown are feet, in which I'll have heavy duty casters on, not too pretty but VERY practical for just that moving it around in mind.

Quote:
What drivers are you going to use for the left/right and center as well as the subs? I know this isn't the loudspeaker/full range section of the forum, but are you concerned about the high frequency drivers not being height aligned with the listening position? Are you going to correct this by angling the front of the left/right 2-ways?
I'm completely up in the air here, I.E. suggestions are more than welcome. I've been looking at the parts express showcase ( http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...e/projects.cfm ) In particular the Encore, The morchellas, Triune, NickA's Dayium. My total room size is currently 12 x 10 x 10 , I want the drivers to exceed my needs right now. Budget for the speakers (2 front, 2 back, 1 Center) around $1k give or take quality needs etc. but can be more, I don't want to have crap quality or sacrifice longevity. Subs are again up in the air I'd figure around 500 or so for both of them. Total planned project budget around 2k. Here's a few better pictures again not to the correct scale:

Thanks again!
Tyson

Hide this!Advertise here!