what is the best way to hook up my subs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2007, 06:50 AM   #1
jdjd911 is offline jdjd911  United States
diyAudio Member

Default what is the best way to hook up my subs

I have a kenwood kac6202 2 channel 400 Watts max power
60 Watts x 2 max (4 ohms) RMS
100 Watts x 2 (2 ohms) RMS
Bridgeable output
2 ohm stable ???? cant find out if 2 ohm stable i read that its 2ohm stable stereo 4 ohm stable mono somewhere i no longer have manual right now i have it hooked up both speakers right positive and and right negative is this the best way bridged???

i was wonderins what is the best way to hook up my 2 kicker 10 comps 4 ohms 150 watts 300 max powereach to this amp series or parralel should i hook positive and negative on each left and right bridge or should i hook both positives to right or left terminal and both negatives to one left or right terminal or better yet what is the best way to get the best output and sound out of the amp
Old 26th July 2007, 08:52 AM   #2
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/L...k3=155&pr=2019

Your Kicker's are 4 ohm SVC, right? If so, I wouldn't suggest you bridge this amplifier to run both woofers, as this would result in a 2 ohm load in bridged configuration, which this amplifier probably can't handle. "4 ohm stable in bridged mode" is plastered all over the web for this amp.

Either run only 1 woofer with the amplifier in bridged mode, or run both woofers with 1 connected to each channel, hoping to obtain the 60 watt rating that the manufacturer states for a 4 ohm load in stereo.

However, if your subs were DVC, you'd have more options.
Yes, it's very clear that this amplifier is bridgeable, but if it claims it can't handle under a four ohm load in bridged mode, don't try to do it anyway.

Regards,
~ Brandin
Old 28th July 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
it looks like you have a two channel amp.
It also appears you have two speakers (drivers).

It seems obvious that you connect one speaker to one output and connect the other speaker to the second output.

Forget about paralleling and/or bridging. You don't need the extra complication and risk of getting it seriously wrong. It might break your amp and it will definately perform worse if you start paralleling drivers.
Old 28th July 2007, 05:52 PM   #4
jdjd911 is offline jdjd911  United States
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

thanks for all yalls helpi think it is just time to go buy a new amp i was looking at the kicker zx300.1 due to its 150x1 @ 4 ohms and 300x2 and 2 ohms and my rms on my kicker comps is 150 but peak 300 do you think this mono ab class amp is sufficient for good sound i found it cheap doin internet searches or should i go to a class D but those are too much power is the zx300.1 the way to go or can you recommend something better for my kicker 10''s the way is was setup on my kenwood dac6202 was bridged with one 10 which with amp specs it was pusing 200 and the kicker was taking it so what would you suggest i get to push my to 10s
Old 29th July 2007, 08:37 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
forget about parallelling your drivers.
Forget that bridging even exists.
Use one amp on each driver.
Old 29th July 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah.. If you insist on keeping those woofers and want to give them more power, another amplifier is essential. As AndrewT states, you're much better off going with an amplifier that can provide the power you're looking for (150w @ 4 ohms) PER CHANNEL. Bridging has some disadvantages that many aren't aware of, and it's generally just better to run 1 of the amplifier's channels per woofer. Same goes for having a 2 ohm load versus a 4 ohm load, etc. So, in other words, find a good amplifier that's rated at least 150 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms, and you'll be good to go. If the amplifier has a feature to switch both of those channels to operate as two separate mono channels, then flip that switch and run them that way.

~ Brandin

Hide this!Advertise here!