Determining cone position - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Jrz126 is offline Jrz126  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Determining cone position

I'm pretty big into car audio and I like to add some unique stuff to my system, and lately I've been thinking about adding a small 'strobe light' (probably just using LEDs) that would shine on the woofers. I would control the strobe light with a small microcontroller and I could program it to do a bunch of different things.

Its an odd project, but I've never seen it done before, so it would be something different.

Programming the microcontroller would be somewhat easy, its just trying to get an accurate measurment of the cone position that would be difficult. Would it be possible to figure it out by looking at the voltage/current of the woofer, or do I need to use an external mic?
Old 24th July 2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

For position, I think you would have to use some kind of laser inferometry (sp?)

It may be possible by looking at current and frequency, would be quite hard though, a lot of processing.
Old 24th July 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For the purposes of running a strobe, I think the voltage on the driver would be a good enough clue to cone position.

At low frequencies (below system resonance) cone displacement is proportional to voltage, so this is a pretty sane choice.

Hide this!Advertise here!