Vifa M26WR-09-08 10" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone build a really nice sounding sub with these? I have a pair I had purchase AGES ago but never got around to really building a cabinet for them. Its now 10 years later or more and I'm going to get around to it. They are dusty but everything still in good shape.

I will be powering the subwoofer with a soundcraftsmen 205wpc power amp running stereo and it will be electronically crossed over at 70Hz (18db/oct) from an Audiocontrol Phase Coupled Activator - for anyone that remembers this stuff :)

Not sure how a properly built sub would sound driven off an amp like this with an outboard crossover vs a pre-made sub with a plate amp but I've got this stuff already so maybe make use of it. The goal is sound quality as opposed to high volume.

This driver seems to prefer a vented enclosure over a sealed at least looking at the specs but I wonder if going with a sealed cabinet anyway might give me better control and extended bass response (at the sacrifice of bass volume of course)....

The sub will be complimenting a pair of bookshelf speakers I built with a Vifa 6.5" and 1".

....so whats the thoughts on this sub. Is this a good driver to start if I want good clean bass?

Hi,

They suit around 30L / 1 cuft sealed or double 60L / 2 cuft vented.
For vented I'd recommend a tuning frequency of around 26Hz.

Two subs, ~ 1/3 across back and side wall will sound smoother.

Vented will go louder, probably not need EQ in room.
Sealed, I'd add a 2nd order high pass, Q=2, ~ +6dB boost @ ~ 30Hz.

You could consider a single vented isobaric also, ~ 30L.

:)/sreten.

Hi,

They suit around 30L / 1 cuft sealed or double 60L / 2 cuft vented.
For vented I'd recommend a tuning frequency of around 26Hz.

Two subs, ~ 1/3 across back and side wall will sound smoother.

Vented will go louder, probably not need EQ in room.
Sealed, I'd add a 2nd order high pass, Q=2, ~ +6dB boost @ ~ 30Hz.

You could consider a single vented isobaric also, ~ 30L.

:)/sreten.

Fantastic. Thanks :) Funny, my calculations were not too far from that. I worked out a box of 2.13cf (vented) and a tuning of 27Hz (which is the same as the FS roughly...not sure if thats bad or not).

So if it was you and the listening room was only 10'x12', would you go with the sealed cabinet or the vented? I guess I could make both and try it. Its only wood and some time :)

rabbitz:

It's a great driver for a music sub….

Agree…

Tino:

This driver seems to prefer a vented enclosure over a sealed at least looking at the specs but I wonder if going with a sealed cabinet anyway might give me better control and extended bass response (at the sacrifice of bass volume of course)....

Look at my comments at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=89897

Submitting a new simulation, close to a ported Bessel alignment in a 59 L (2.084 cu. feet) box or with a closed port, a Qtc very near a second order Bessel is achieved, in my opinion both very good choices for use as ‘musical subs’ and stands for your bookshelf speakers.

b

1(2)

Attachments

• 1-ported-vifa m26wr-0908.gif
    1-ported-vifa m26wr-0908.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 580
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.