Design concept comments. Small sub TL trio. 1+2helpers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd just like to see if anyone has any comments on this concept. I realize a single 12" is more practical, and will most likely outperform this idea. But as a concept, I would just like to explore the pro's and con's of the idea.

The first sub will simply be tuned to the drivers FS like a normal TL sub. The other two subs, will be tuned to between 1/2 to 2/3, FS. Then they will be wired together in series, then in parallel to the first sub. With the "helper" subs wired in series they will recieve less power but have more cone area then the single driver so for the same frequency, they will be able to play the volume at a lower excursion. This is why they are tuned lower.

The goal of this concept is not to simply increase the overall output of the whole system like having 3 duplicate subs would do. But instead to lower the F3 of system and keep a flatter response.

I may try this with a trio of TB W5-1138SM's. Tune one to 45hz, and the other two to 30hz. But with these being 4ohm drivers, it gives me a final impedance of 2.667ohms. This would work best with 8ohm drivers.

Attachments

• 2-1trio.jpg
    2-1trio.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 159
A very interesting idea. A single 12" like you say may have advantages in some areas, particularly sheer output, but this design could certainly have other advantages such as speed/impact (from the use of 3 motors as opposed to one) and a more controlled response.

My project has been a small TL sub similar to the PMC TLE1. Using two 6" drivers it doesn't create the most earth shattering output but it does have amazing extension and agility. Your design will likely produce more output with its 3 higher excursion drivers so you should have a winner for medium sized rooms and particulary music use.

The TB drivers don't initially seem ideal for TL use but the reviews show someone has used one with good results and with the special price I'd definately give it a go :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.