speaker level input vs line level question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm running a PE BASH 500 AMP on the Dayton 15" dual coil driver rated at 600 watts with coils in parallel. the enclosure is about 4.8 cu ft little small i know! tuned between 19 and 20 hz using 4" dual flare precision port 17" total length. the driver is hard to drive with the low 2.6 dcr. when driving by line level from my adcom 2 channel preamp, on LOTR RETURN OF THE KING, the amp shuts down with gain on Bash amp a little above half way on certain parts. half way or below i have no problems. i tried speaker level inputs from my Onkyo M-282 power amp. now, at same gain settings on both preamp, and bash amp the bash amp doesn't shut down on same parts of dvd but, it sounded like maybe the driver cone made a popping noise, bottomed, etc. not quite sure so i quickly turned it down. which way should i feed the Bash amp speaker level/line level? seems feeding speaker level the sub output seems to get louder faster and also, lower gain setting with no amp shut down but plenty of output just have to watch gain control. when fed line level the amp shut down with green light still on but no output. i had to flip main on/off power switch to off wait a few seconds then turn back on and it would work again. the shutdown was quick without excessive heat like maybe it was an over current issue? as i say, the driver only has 2.6DCR spec. any advice would be appreaciated! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.