Ideas as to what is inside? Need 16Hz for digital pipe organ-help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Fr. Ray

I got your email with the pics. I would still recommend the El-Pipe-O except use 4 of the Mach5 MJ18 woofers, they are much cheaper then the 21" woofers and will give you tons of bottom end. As I said earlier they would look like decorative columns in the right & left corners. Something like this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Be careful about which drivers you choose, you need one that can get as close as possible to 16Hz.

Also, since your side walls are 10ft high, I wonder if it would be possible to bend the tube to get the desired length (El Pipo is 14ft? at 20Hz so 16Hz would be considerably longer at ~half octave lower).

I haven't really had any experience with this sort of thing so maybe someone else can shed some more light on designing the enclosure.

Interestingly I have been looking at the Mach 5 IXL 18.4 drivers.

Altar alcove is about 16'X16' (first step 8-9" high) and second step another 8-9" and the highest platform is about 16X 8.

Underneath is a crawl space.

A friend suggested the HouseWrecker sub from Decware

Supposedly goes to 13Hz if one builds the 18" version (just under 60 inches x just under 2 feet x almost 2 feet)

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

If the crawl space goes all the way across and the steps stop at the alcove you could start with an Infinite Baffle on one side and if you needed more volume you could add a second one on the other side of the steps. This would have the greatest base without using any floor space. Here is a link to everything you would need to know about Infinite Baffle subs.

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Might wake some of the folk up!

I had chatted with a couple of the folk re the column idea.

Might get away with laying them down. Remember the WAF--I have that times 15!!! No less than 15 wifes attend!!

IB looks very interesting need a little more research. There is a forced air gas funace under the altar but I dont know if that would cause a problem.

Tom from SVS subwoofers (sound) suggested a 28x28x44 (ish) box with 4 x12" long throw subwoofers the make of drivers and finer details he is determining with the LEAP PC at their facility

Will be making a decision shortly and thanks for all your support thus far, I know I will need you folk in the future!
Fr.Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.