Jamo 23503 8" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jamo 23503 8" drivers

Having recently replaced my Jamo satellites and subwoofer with a proper set of floorstanders (Audiovector C2 MK2), I'm left wondering what to do with the Jamo sub.

It's rather battered and worn-looking (the beautiful smoked glass plate on the top was destroyed by a falling vase a few years ago), but it hasn't been abused sound-wise.

It's an isobaric 4th order bandpass sub with two 8" drivers.

So I would like to ask if anyone has even the slightest idea of what the T/S parameters for such units could be, and if they could be used to build a better sub than the "I have a huge hump at 60hz and that's it" Jamo sub.

Preferably something that integrates properly with the Audiovectors. They reach down to 40hz or so.

The name of the drivers is "Jamo 23503" and they are roughly 10 years old. The sub is an SW 200-II, in case that helps.

I've searched here and on Google and found nothing of use, but perhaps someone here has an idea.

I've attached a (crude) drawing of the outside measurements and the size of the port.

Based on this, would it even be slightly realistic to construct a sub that reaches to 25hz or so using those two 8" units?

Or would I be much better off spending ~$100 on a single 10" or 12"?

Attachments

• sw200-ii.png
    sw200-ii.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 220
That's what I was beginning to think...

Oh well, no reason to tear apart a perfectly usable piece of equipment to make something worse. I'll just have to find a good sub-$150 unit an build something with that.

Any good suggestions for a good 12" driver or perhaps 2 10" drivers?

I am seriously considering building an EAS-based sub since I might be able to lay my hands on a good 500watt class-D amp, and I'm pretty good with electronics, so the EAS circuit should be no problem.

Living in Denmark, my best choices would probably be Scanspeak, Vifa, Peerless and Monacor. Do any of them have a good driver for EAS that you know of?

Buy a tin of paint and dress up the old sub, sell it and turn the money toward your new one.
Have a look at the Rythmik sub kit thread, they are bit expensive with amp and driver for $500 US but excellent sound quality for the price.
They do an EAS style equalization module for them.

For incredibly high WAF find an ornamental chest with legs, cut a hole in the bottom, put your ugly unpainted particle board sub woofer box inside. Let her fill the rest of the space in the chest with blankets and sheets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.