Will it ruin the great sound I have?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
# of sub

richie00boy said:

Well there let's agree to be different then :) I'd rather have two smaller boxes for the reasons in Marsh's post #11.

I'd have to agree that 2 are better than one, from my own experience. Depending on room size, it's amazing how much smoother, less boomy, and well controlled you can make the bass simply by moving the subs around and listening in your preferred location. I've tried all the tricks to deal with room modes, and, by far, the best is to use 2 subs rather than one and place them in non - primary node locations (I've found corner loading to be highly undesirable with subs, unless your room is small). Using the method of 'place the sub where you listen and then walk around the room unti,l you hear the best bass' can be misleading w/o accounting for mode distribution and intensity.

John L.

richie00boy said:
79mm diamater is too small, the driver has too much displacement for such a small vent.

I'm with Andrew on using soil pipe, it's what I use. But even with that I think you could be sailing close to the wind (pun intended). You could use three 63mm drain pipes for a bit more area.

I hear what what your saying but to get my box tuned to the desired 20Hz the 3 63mm ports would have to be 65cm long, each! (according to WinISD pro alpha), that's a lot of extra internal displacment and a lot of pipework.

Would bends/joins in the pipe affect the airflow/sound much?

Hi,
Bends are allowed, but try to keep the ends of the vents away from the box walls and from the driver cone. I've seen 1.5 diameters recommended.
7 or 8 litres of vents in a 100 litre box should fit.

Do you realise that a bigger box requires smaller vent volume for the same tuning frequency? Then it is even easier to get them to fit and space around the ends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.