Madison's Nht 10" Sub Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Madison's Nht 10" Sub Kit

Hi everyone,

Before I start, you guys/gals out there need to know, that I am new to this hobby, and this will be my first time.....

I am looking into the kit offered by Madison, which consist two 10" NHT drivers -two 11" tubes and a KG5230 amp.(http://www.madisound.com/nht10subkit.html)
all looked pretty good to me, ( but then again ... what do I really know? )

My problem is that, I can not fit both drivers into a single cabinet, since I have already build the custom furniture with two separated boxes for the subs, and also the space is very limited in my new HIDDING room ( from my wife and my teenager son ,ofcourse...)

Has anyone build this kit?, how is the sound quality, I'll use these for both HT and music, so any suggestion is much appreciated.

I also need to know , how can I wire the two drivers using only one amp, and do I need to compensate the volume of box with the amp in it, so two boxes will be equal in sound as inner volume is concerned?

My Marantz receiver has 95 watts rating, based on 8 ohms, these drivers are rated as 12 ohms, if I remember correctly from college days, wiring these drivers in parallel should half the resistance to 6 ohms, does this mean my receiver is not suitable for these? or simply ignore the numbers since I'll be using the PRE-AMP out from the receiver?

Million questions, and no sub ( yet), please HELP !!!:dead:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU....THANK YOU.. ALL.

DAVE

Yes, wire them in parallel. The plate amp will be the thing driving the speakers so your receiver won't care.

BTW, if you take a look over in the Marketplace section of this forum, you'll see the NHT 10" drivers for sale at less than half of what they normally go for. Some nice looking amp modules, too.

Thanks for the tip on the market place, I did check out the listing, but I wonder if these OLD speakers need to be re-conditioned or what ? Doesn't the surround hardens with time and breaks ?

When you design a ported speaker, can you substitute the tube used, with another one, as long as the internal volume are the same ? or this is not the case? Does the placement of the port matters ?

Does a subwoofer driver need to be mag-shielded if the placements is less than 3 feet from the plasma tv?

Thanks again !

DAVE

The speakers I've gotten from them were in great shape, exactly on spec.

I'm pretty dim on speakers with video, so someone else will need to handle that one.

Cylinders or rectangles as ports are easy to build and already very well characterized, so I wouldn't get more exotic than that. Do you have Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook?"

I am looking for one, but I have not yet found a 8th Edition of the cookbook, do you know where I can get one ?

I have access to some very exotic thermoplastic sheet, ( plexi-laxan-HIPS-corian and other.) Have you any experience building speaker boxes using say.. 1 inch clear acrylic sheet? I can even oven form the enclosure to almost any shape , to make them more unique and interesting.

If you ever need any crazy box build, just let me know.

I have an old JBL subwoofer, it has not amp built in, but has cross over in it where 2 satelite are connected through the sub, can I retrofit this sub, with an amp? ( internally). Thought?

Take care.

DC

Thank you Jack for the info.

Where these drivers used in a sealed or vented enclosure ? and what the optimun volume for bothe the sealed or/and vented version?

Also looking to build 2 additional 2 way satelite speaker, by using your npt-11-096 tweeters , but can't decide the midrange friver, can you reconment one or two from your stock ?

Thanks.

DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.