Design Challenge #2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Design Challenge #2 from this rookie - I want to make a smaller sub for off-grid usage, so minimal power usage is important. I found an AudioFile Home Theater VRS 1205 Power output: 150Watts RMS at 4 ohm and at least 100W RMS at 8 ohm that fits the ticket as it uses a maximum of 2.5 ohms.
For the driver I'm looking at a single Apex Jr Super 8" Subwoofer:
FS=47.75Hz
Qms=7.334
Qes=.552
Qts=0.514
Vas=0.376 cu. ft.
Re=2.653 ohms
Le=0.157mH
Spl=85.22 @ 1w/1m
He recommends a .83f3 13"X13"X13" Ported Box With a 2"x6" Port.
The challenge: I want this to sound snappy, but I'm NOT trying to shake my teeth! 10" H is preferable, as is parallel in its vertical planes but revising the w & d is fine as is a specially tuned shape. I know nothing about engineering it; I just need to build it! THANKS!

kgillies said:
Design Challenge #2 from this rookie - I want to make a smaller sub for off-grid usage, so minimal power usage is important.

You will need an efficient amp.

I found an AudioFile Home Theater VRS 1205 Power output: 150Watts RMS at 4 ohm and at least 100W RMS at 8 ohm that fits the ticket as it uses a maximum of 2.5 ohms. [/B]

2.5 amps?

For the driver I'm looking at a single Apex Jr Super 8" Subwoofer:[/B]

Nice bass driver.

FS=47.75Hz[/B]

Rather high if you are looking for a "subwoofer"

Spl=85.22 @ 1w/1m[/B]

So so. Pretty standard for that size driver but not great considering it's Fs.

The challenge: I want this to sound snappy, but I'm NOT trying to shake my teeth! [/B]

This is a good all round driver. Not snappy like a PA driver though.

10" H is preferable, as is parallel in its vertical planes but revising the w & d is fine as is a specially tuned shape. I know nothing about engineering it; I just need to build it! THANKS! [/B]

I think you will be fine with changing the internal dimensions (to a point) provided the volume remains the same.

Sealed vs. Ported

Aloha and thanks for the input. Yes, of course, 2.5 amps!

I forgot to ask, in the car audio world I prefer the sealed subs to ported as they sound tighter (not looking for deep thuds, just good clean lows). Is there any translation here to home audio? I seem to see everything ported. And I forgot to mention this will be built in, so front-firing is it on this.

My current sub (see Design Challenge #1) is a dual chambered affair - does any of that matter or is a single chamber box just as good for this situation.

Any recommendations of alternate drivers or configurations is welcome!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.