Compact sub ideas wanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer driver. My goal is to add some bass support for my w3-871s based bookshelf speakers. The 871s' are sealed so I'd like to keep the sub sealed as well. What is the smallest cabinet that I can put this driver in? What's better, a front or down firing design?

Here's a link to the driver:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-831

QUOTE]…My goal is to add some bass.... What is the smallest cabinet that I can put this driver in? What's better, a front or down firing design?...[/QUOTE]

type,

The smallest closed box would be about 20 x Sd x X-max = 1.74 L, driver volume not included but using LT to restore the system Qtc would require an powerful amp = 10 times the X-max limited driver power + about 3 times this power for a 10 dB margin ending up to 30 times the max driver usable power. See picture 1(1)

You cannot avoid the use of a bass amplifier due to the low driver sensitivity.

I rec. the Damped box, damped vent that if plugged turns into a good closed box, use a 2" cork!

Go for front firing and if LT use a built in 41Hz.com type of amp >= 50 W and 5.2 L = net volume = about 0.184 feet^3.See picture 2(2).

For a small T-amp and/or PC use, redo the LT design for a necessary smaller power loss i.e. max. 1.5-2 times = 1.224-1.414 gain loss.

b

1 (2)

Attachments

• min-tb-compact.gif
    min-tb-compact.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 289
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.