Servo vs. Linkwitz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I'm going a little nuts trying to decide between two possible 12" subwoofer designs and I was hoping that I could get some advice....

The first design is a 2 Ft sealed box with a Dayton RSS315HF, a 500 watt BASH amp and a Linkwitz transform. If WinISD's predictions are correct this will have a -3dB at 21 Hz. (How accurate is WinISD's Linkwitz modeling anyway?) At peak power it will produce around 108 dB at 20 Hz.

The second design is the 12" servo based system from Rythmik audio in a similar 2 Ft sealed box which, from what I've read, can have an -3dB somewhere around 14 Hz but generally outputs less dB. Plus, since it is a servo, it will theoretically provide lower distortion and flatter response.

The sub will be used almost exclusively with music and will be integrated with a pair of Rega R5s... I haven't decided on the crossover point but probably somewhere around 60 Hz.

I'm leaning towards the Rythmik based on the promise of lower distortion but I have to admit that the promise of the servo is almost a little too good to be true.

Thanks for any advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.