BASH subwoofer amp at PE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recommended...

I just put one of these in a sealed sub with 2x 10" woofers in parallel, Q~=.577 and it works very well. Nice and tight, very musical, and blends seamlessly with the JX-92 based mains. The price is also excellent for what you get. The woofers work well in ported alignments as well so I will do some more experimentation and report back.

Overall I think it is an exceptional value.

"Has anyone tried this digital sub amp?"

It's not digital. It has a normal class AB amplifier with a switching regulated power supply that tracks the audio voltage.

"consider this also"

Why? That eDesign site is lame, no specs on anything, and the prices are higher than Parts Express. The Kiega amps shown are class D, but I'm not sure I would buy one. They use the B&O Ice Power modules, very expensive if you blow one (from spec sheet: *** Do not short the leads while the amp is turned on!!! This will destroy the Ice Power Module and is an expensive repair. ***)

The BASH amps from PE are about half the price, and can be repaired if need be.

djk said:
Why? That eDesign site is lame, no specs on anything, and the prices are higher than Parts Express. The Kiega amps shown are class D, but I'm not sure I would buy one. They use the B&O Ice Power modules, very expensive if you blow one (from spec sheet: *** Do not short the leads while the amp is turned on!!! This will destroy the Ice Power Module and is an expensive repair. ***)

The BASH amps from PE are about half the price, and can be repaired if need be.

eD was using/selling the same BASH amps that PE stocks. They were used in their ht subs, and they weren't putting out the rated power and needed a resistor change for the LPF. And considering the warranty is 5 years, as long as you don't do something like shorting the live leads, any failure due to normal use should be covered.

I believe they also had a 300w oem plate amp for $85 sometime last week. I think they've all been sold though.

Yeah, eD's $85 200 watt amps are gone.

I have two of the PE 500W BASH amps pushing sealed 12" Titanic subwoofers in my theater room. I can open doors two stories up with them (according to my wife at least). To get low output you do need to swap resistors in the pre-amp section, which is doable but a pain.

Another BASH option is through oaudio. I've never used them but folks who have give them good reviews. They have knobs that do what you need to do resistor swaps for with the PE amp. On the other hand, the PE ones are on sale. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.