Just ordered my new subwoofer (Peerless) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just ordered my new subwoofer (Peerless)

Hi,

Decided to jump in the deep end and by my new subwoofer.

1x Peerless XXLS 830845 12" Subwoofer
1x Plate Amp 240 watts RMS into 8 ohms (Crossover 50-160hz)

I'm thinking of a box volume of 2.6 cubic feet (74L) Sealed.

Something like 30-40mm MDF with a matrix type inner walls.

I'll let you know how I go, hopefully it will sound good.

Was hoping it would be something gut renching and feel like your right by the bomb when it goes off.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hmm... a $500 DIY subwoofer or a second hand B&W ASW855 subwoofer for $2500.

What to do!
Old 2nd June 2007, 11:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can't decide?
Build a $1000 DIY Sub! You get to choose how you want it to look and sound. Build it and then cover it in the finest marble. Marvel at the way it makes your trousers flap and the windows shake ........ then say "I did that."
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:37 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just ordered my new subwoofer (Peerless)

Quote:
Originally posted by harrisni
Was hoping it would be something gut renching and feel like your right by the bomb when it goes off.
Greets!

Not going to happen with a single 12" in a relatively tiny sealed box, I don't care how much power you feed it, though it may be gut wrenching to your budget when it lets all its smoke out if too much power is applied trying to reproduce bomb blasts. Neither will the B&W, but will get you closer than what you propose.

For $2500 though, that buys enough DIY subwoofer to pin you to the sofa and pop drywall joints (been there, done that!). Bomb blasts, well, unless you've experienced the 'real deal' or at least a military field simulator you can't appreciate the amount of acoustic power required to reproduce a 500 lb TNT bomb. Anyway, you don't really want to have your hearing permanently damaged just watching a movie, so not a performance goal worth pursuing.

GM
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

So whats going to give me a better thump?

TC Sounds? JM Lab Utopia?
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

harrisni,

GM is just poking fun.

It's all relative.

Of course 2.6 cu ft box being is "relativley tiny" in a post that contains references to military field simulators and the likes of 500lb of TNT!

But IMHO 90% of the music-loving, home-theatre playing population probably don't own anything bigger than a 10".

If you want to shake the plaster off your walls, yes an 18" woofer in a basshorn with 1kW+ of power would probably do it (GM would probably recommend 4 or more?), but really they meant for commercial Sound Reinforcement application, not living room home theater.

Enjoying building your own sealed box 12" subwoofer and enjoy listening to it.

If by any chance you want to experiment for louder/lower bass, you have option to EQ your plateamp or rebuild your box for ported or passive radiators. Now that's something you couldn't do when buying off-the-shelf subwoofers.
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just ordered my new subwoofer (Peerless)

Quote:
Originally posted by tktran303

GM is just poking fun.

But IMHO 90% of the music-loving, home-theatre playing population probably don't own anything bigger than a 10".

If you want to shake the plaster off your walls, yes an 18" woofer in a basshorn with 1kW+ of power would probably do it (GM would probably recommend 4 or more?)...........
Greets!

I was?! My intention was to point out that not only was trying to reproduce explosions and truly gut wrenching BW, SPLs require a way too large/expensive sound system, but would cause permanent hearing damage. Not to mention that females don't like the waves of nausea that high infrasonic SPL can generate from ocillating their sprung reproduction system. Move it up a few octaves and it's a different story though.

Hmm, four bass-horns for a typical HIFI/HT app would be a bit much even by my standards. In a compression bass-horn, even a single 18" would be too much for most apps, though the vanishingly low distortion and high directivity of its mid-bass would be a real plus if the space required wasn't an issue. FWIW, I busted my walls and did some foundation and other structural damage with just two kit ServoDrive Contrabass subs/500 W, but my house is poorly constructed, being typical of much of America's large metro area's post WWII low income housing boom.

Yes, most folks that buy and/or DIY HT speaker systems seem to be satisfied with just a 'taste' of the multi-channel sound cinema experience rather than following the DD/DTS/THX performance guidelines to enjoy the HT cinema experience the producer envisioned. I never cease to be amazed at the cost/effort expended on many dedicated HT rooms, then they install speaker systems that either can't come close to meeting these guidelines or can only do so at audibly high distortion levels. Not to mention make-do with non-optimum speaker layouts for various decor related considerations. I guess the assumption is that if the initial impression is good enough it will 'set the stage' (so to speak) for a great HT performance.

The really sad thing though is that often they paid as much or more for at best a so-so HT performance than if they had done it up right from the get-go. Oh well, all that really matters is that they enjoy them and 'keeping up with the Joneses' is America's favorite pastime, so 'monkey see, monkey do' rules.

Regardless, when folks ask for suggestions WRT HT sound systems and/or set-up as opposed to just extending the LF below their mains' BW, I'm going to do so based on the above guidelines, not 'poke fun' , and if folks think it's too big, loud, expensive, whatever for their app, they can either scale it back to suit or ignore it.

GM
Old 4th June 2007, 02:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's funny, when I started to get serious about this hobby, some of the first subs I heard were B&W and Peerless XLS. When I first heard the XLS it was in a www.theloudspeakerkit.com sub which was small with a passive radiator. Some might call it gut wrenching. I thought at the time it was "more than I need." Shortly I'll have four 12" subs. Now if you put that XLS sub in a very small enclosed toilet made of brick walls, then you might get gut wrenching! In a typical aussie living room I suspect you might find it's going to have to work hard to get down to 20 Hz with authority in a sealed box.

Have you actually bought this thing?
Old 4th June 2007, 04:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harrisni
So whats going to give me a better thump?

TC Sounds? JM Lab Utopia?
Greets!

'Thump'/'slam'/'punch' is a mid-bass thing, so if that's all you're wanting rather than reproducing the VLFs on many action DVDs, then both the sub's upper BW and the mains lower BW out to around 300 Hz need to be EQ'd to however much you want with the understanding that it can make female vocals too 'chesty'.

If the sub still sounds anemic, then either make some more (preferred) or step up to a higher output sub system. Obviously, if the mains can't handle it, then either the sub will need to be XO'd higher up or they'll need replacing with higher output ones. Since I prefer using pro-sound drivers that excel at this type of performance, I'm not all that familiar with what all's available/preferred for consumer/DIY systems.

GM
Old 4th June 2007, 04:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yeah I placed the order, but I am thinking about changing it to the following:

1x 830500 12"
1x 830548 PR

and building something like this:

http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/...aker-page5.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!