Subwoofer Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm putting together a system for dorm use, and I've pretty much settled on everything (speakers, amps), except I can't come up with a good way to enclose the subwoofer. I've pretty much narrowed down the driver selection to a 12" model of either the Dayton Titanic series, or Eminence Gen II. I am aware of all of the literature for these drivers on how to construct a good box, but my problem is dealing with the MDF. I don't have any power tools, or any way to (easily) get at some. Does anybody have any suggestions? I also saw the kit for the Dayton 12", but that comes with an amp which I don't need.

1. Buy a premade or knocked-down box that just needs gluing together.
2. Scrounge an ugly DIY car sub box off Craigslist or Freecycle
3. Buy a thrift-store speaker and just use the cabinet
4. Persuade the lumber store to cut the sheet up for you; most places will do it for a nominal amount. Then buy a cheap router or saber saw to cut the driver opening. (pawn shops or yard sales for the router, tool store sale for a set of carbide bits)
5. something unconventional like a cardboard box stiffened with concrete or fiberglass.
6. Big tube which the driver can be sealed into with caulk.

Thanks for the advice. I had actually given up on getting a reply, so I just started contacting people that I don't know to cut it up for me. I was able to find someone who should be able to make the cuts I need, so I should be set. I still appreciate the thought though!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.