Is this ¼ WL & fs loow Transmission Line realistic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I’ve looked at t-linespeakers.org and see reference to Martin King's & Auspurger's computer models, am happy to learn one, before I do - is this ¼ WL goal realistic or in the ballpark ?

A 6 m 20 foot (running along the ceiling) line of Sonotube or equivalent, ie a TL with no taper, with ¼ WL = 14 Hz

- used with a driver of fs = 18 Hz (Peerless XLS 12”)

should with …….. EQ be able get flat down to between the ¼ WL & fs, ie 14 – 18 Hz?

Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi.
Need the divers other specs for accurate modeling. If you post them I'd be willing to simulate (as I am intrigued by your idea). The thought of the line extending across the ceiling is different, that's for sure.
TL bass re-enforcement is an excellent way to increase response below Fs.

Edit: Sorry, read after I posted, driver is Peerless XLS. This driver is purpose built for passive radiator allingment, and will give inferior TL results. You should consider another driver for your idea.

Martin,

The ceiling - I just looked around and thought - do a kind of el-pipo but using the longest room dimension. Higher ceilings make it less visually intrusive.

I’ve heard that the XLS is built for passive radiators; and also with it’s very low Q for small boxes in cars.
You may know Linkwitz chose it for it’s very low distortion at < 100 Hz, always EQed, in both dipoles (Phoenix & Orion) and sealed boxes (Thor).
Also GM suggests www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=772802&highlight=#post772802 what sounds to me like a TL using XLS.

I thought in that case . . here are the TS, with a higher distortion but still lowish fs opion

What parameters are good for TL, and what are bad?

Thanks

Attachments

• two peerless tl candidates.txt
    205 bytes · Views: 34
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
rick57 said:

I’ve heard that the XLS is built for passive radiators; and also with it’s very low Q for small boxes in cars.
You may know Linkwitz chose it for it’s very low distortion at < 100 Hz, always EQed, in both dipoles (Phoenix & Orion) and sealed boxes (Thor).
Also GM suggests www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=772802&highlight=#post772802 what sounds to me like a TL using XLS.

What parameters are good for TL, and what are bad?

To be honet I've not tried this sub in a pipe this long. The resuts are different than they would be for a shorter, tapered line.
Below are the results for a line cross section 3 x Sd. First is the phase relationship between TL and infiite baffle the second is expected frequency response. Though there is a massive drop after 40Hz, there is clearly a 5dB gain over IB below this. If you can tolerate the poor step response (.02 second delay), it may not be a bad option.

Attachments

• longpipe.gif
    longpipe.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 244

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

My referenced alignments are MLTLs, big difference! An end loaded TL this long isn't a good plan, but an off-set driver (L*0.2541) one with a 12" effective diameter (113.1"^2) looks good with modest stuffing (0.3 lbs/ft^3) with no audible timing errors if XO'd around 70 - 80 Hz.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
rick57 said:
Martin,

Thanks for the info,

Rick, not sure why you are calling me Martin. My name is John...

GM said:
Greets!

My referenced alignments are MLTLs, big difference! An end loaded TL this long isn't a good plan, but an off-set driver (L*0.2541) one with a 12" effective diameter (113.1"^2) looks good with modest stuffing (0.3 lbs/ft^3) with no audible timing errors if XO'd around 70 - 80 Hz.

GM

GM, I agree it's not a good plan, just interesting to get that much gain below 40 Hz. Of course, 3 x Sd is quite a large pipe.

L = pipe length

As I said, I chose to use an area = to a 12" diameter pipe, but you can use something reasonably close, like 12" square, or even four nominally 1" x 12" boards to make a rectangular tube. If you want to go triangular, then to get the same CSA requires the sides to be 1.4142x longer with a 2x longer baffle width than a square one.

BTW, what was the listening results of the JBL test box I suggested?

Haven’t had time to make that much progress on the project *before it, eg right now I’m in the middle of a Mothers Day do for 40 people . . but I’m likely to do BLHs with some less $ Eminences, as the JBLs are quite good and could be used better in another project.
Your posts on midbass have changed my thinking on not just a fun test box.

A round pipe (Sonotube) is quicker to do. If a 94.5” pipe is capable of x dB, I was hoping the 6 m 235” pipe, maybe of bigger diameter, could go a lot deeper - is that correct with MLTLs?

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
rick57 said:

oops, thought you were Martin King . .

Sorry to disappoint ;)

The T/S specs for your CSX driver are better for TL with Qts in the 35 - 45 range. Qts of this value seems to give the best results. Also a larger Vas works better than a small one (low Vas gives peaked bass response).
The step response for such a long line is a problem. Not sure if the simulation is projecting accurate results for such a monster pipe.
I tried a smaller diameter pipe, but the results were unimpressive. I thought it looked good for massive bass re-inforcement below 40Hz, but there are better, cleaner and easier ways.

John,

Thanks for your info, the goal is 20 – 80 flat with EQ. Until recently I was interested in tapped horns, but they’re just a bit short on bandwidth at both ends.

I know little at this stage about the numerous different kinds of TLs. Must learn about eg “mass loaded”.

If a 6 m 200 foot pipe has bad step response, maybe the step response of the el-pipo is (while not as bad), not too flash . .

For just < 40 Hz, a sealed sub with plenty of watts would be effective.

Would prefer to use either XLS or CSX 10, as I have them spare.
I just saw that Rick Schultz’ Rhinos ‘flow’ from Thiele-Small parameters www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/exolinear/rhinos.html but this may be an exception in TL design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.