Subwoofer Modeling With Linux / Mac / Solaris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building speakers is just a hobby for me - my day job is pure U-N-I-X. For the sake of other speaker builders out there, I thought I'd start a thread with some information on how to build speakers with a UNIX box.

First, native Linux apps.
There is only one that I know of:
http://www.iti.fi/speakerdesigner/index.php

I've never used it. Has anyone else? Post your opinions if you have.

Second, Windows apps.
Akabak Tom Danley, from Danley Sound Labs, is a big proponent of this one. It's quite versatile, though the manual can be a challenge. Certainly not as simple as WinISD, but it can tackle a lot of problems that other's can't. I'm running Akabak via wine. I didn't have to do anything special; it runs right out of the box.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Third, DOS apps.
Boxmodel and Bandpass Boxmodel This is a free program that almost no one uses. The interface is clunky, but it models loudspeakers better than WinISD, the best known "free" program. Bandpass Boxmodel is particularly excellent, accurating modeling parameters such as excursion and vent velocity. It also does a great job modeling passive radiators, and it can predict efficiency of a woofer based on a few parameters. Good stuff! I'm running Boxmodel using Dosemu. I got it up & running in 15 minutes under Ubuntu using the instructions HERE

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Since Wine and DosEMU are cross platform, I'll bet that the emulated apps will also work under Open Solaris, Solaris, OSX, FreeBSD, etc...

hey PB and other Linux users - what's a good pc/OS setup for Linux beginner to handle akabak, TrueRTA, AJ-horn and run some mp3? WinXP has robbed me of being able to get screenshots on Bullock's programs and AJ omits series BP. How much processor & ram is needed? do you think the late/great Bullock's passive LC interaction is about right? (IIRC it came close to a SPEAK designed BP4 with LC)

Freddy

ps did U get some tapped horn designed for diyma12?

Inspired by your post, I uploaded a 15hz tapped horn based on the Diyma12!

And I noticed, as you did, that XP cannot do print screen from DOS anymore. But Ubuntu Linux does it fine. In fact I have screen shots in the thread I started, which were done on Ubuntu. It's great stuff :)

For MP3s I still run Itunes on Vista, mostly because I use an Ipod.

While I don't use TrueRTA, I *do* use Speaker Workshop, so I'll have to try that out on Linux too.

:: PB ::

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
buggsson said:
what are you planning to use on the intel Macs?

For speaker modeling or for running Windows?

For speakers i'd like to run Martin's sheets under Crossover Mac (WINE). But i can also either use the spare G4 cube or revert my Dual 867 to OS 9 and run MacSpeakerz (and Visual Page -- i've still not found a web editor that is its equal)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.