6th order bandpass subwoofer - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2003, 08:08 PM   #31
Ilianh is offline Ilianh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ilianh
First day of new semester, second one. Out of six.. actualy im at school right now.. first day and I have 5 pages of homework in maths...

Quote:
However, I tried 25 Hz and lower at those dB levels and I didn't feel that much. Maybe it is an individual thing.

Depending on your house structural integrity.... may be a house thing too
Old 20th January 2003, 11:05 PM   #32
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilianh
First day of new semester, second one. Out of six.. actualy im at school right now.. first day and I have 5 pages of homework in maths...
The only reason I asked was to find out if it was your first day of college so I could congratulate you. Now we know it isn't. But as long as I went down that road, I might as well find out: did you mean you have already finished six semesters or have six semesters ahead of you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilianh

I start college monday (around 40 hours classes / week) i wont have much time to work on stuff... so im trying to use this last week end to test stuff for experience
Forty hours of classes? Do you have the same system up in Canada that they have in the USA? Here we generally aveage 15 hours a sememster-12 hours constitutes a full time student. It takes 120 hours total to graduate.

If you have the same system up there, then at the rate you're going, you will finish a four year degree program in a year and a half!!
Old 21st January 2003, 01:30 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Back home..
Well I have 4 semesters left, thats 60 weeks..

but yhea.. its crazy, like as an example, on thursdays I have 8 hours straight of electronics.. thats with a 50 minutes pause to eat...
Old 21st January 2003, 02:42 AM   #34
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.... on thursdays I have 8 hours straight of electronics...
Ahh yes, I miss those day-long class/lab sessions I won't be experiencing them for a while. Good luck with your studies!

kelticwizard, thanks for the kind words about SubSim, I appreciate it I see you're beginning to like the program. SubSim is back under development, but finding permanent work is first in my to-do list, of course. So development is slow, but steady.

cheers,
Isaac
Old 21st January 2003, 04:09 AM   #35
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by f4ier

kelticwizard, thanks for the kind words about SubSim, I appreciate it I see you're beginning to like the program. SubSim is back under development, but finding permanent work is first in my to-do list, of course. So development is slow, but steady.

cheers,
Isaac [/B]
I do mention the program frequently, because it has the most complete picture for any freeware program out there. Such matters as impedance phase, cone excursion, and so many other things all on one chart, all in front of you. Awesome.

I was slow to "take" to the program, but once I got the idea, it all fell into place. Realistically, it is not like WinISD where a 2 minute warmup is all that is necessary. But it isn't that long to learn either

The major thing that you have to get used to is the fact that when you "X" out of a dialog box that you just filled with parameters, the info is retained. In most programs, you need to click an box that says "OK" or else the information is lost. With this program, that is not necessary.

I will be checking into Crossover Simulator soon as well. Lots of questions there. Believe me, I'll give you a holler if I need help.

Good luck with your job search. If your contribution to this forum is any indication, the employer who hires you on will have done himself a great service indeed!
Old 21st January 2003, 04:52 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yep, awsome work indeed. Its truly one of those "must have" apps.

Keep up the good work
Old 22nd January 2003, 03:58 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

so, hum back to subject

The only way out of this is to actualy either have a large surface or a big x-max, I checked some 15's at 5mm xmax at a surplus store.

I guess a 10" with a very large xmax (expensive) would do as good as a 15" with relativly low xmax (cheap), but the 10"'s distortion will be greater.

and i get 2 of those for the price of one shiva, around 3 of those = to the price of 1 tempest with shipping and all

They are 85$ cdn each, no taxes, i'll ask and see if i can borrow one to measure it.

that will make me 2400 sqcm at 5 mm xmax

what do you guys think? the problem may be the size of that thing.. but.... the sound would be good
Old 22nd January 2003, 04:23 AM   #38
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

The trouble with 15's is that they tend to have very large Vas values, making huge boxes necessary to get to the same F3 that smaller drivers can deliver in smaller boxes.

Still, measure it anyway, you never know what might be in store.

Inexpensive drivers from "off-brands" sometimes have Thiele-Small values that do not work out when placed in the box. Even good quality brands have variation from the stated specs, but at least have a tendency to deliver similar performance when placed in a box built for the stated specs. "Off-brands" frequently do not deliver when placed in a box built for stated specs.

But if they let you try it-hey, what have you got to lose? Every speaker company started out small and unknown, after all.
Old 22nd January 2003, 06:31 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I did this frequency plot from 0 to 100hz of that max 10"

Y axis is dB's, X axis is frequency

and this isnt at 1w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10inchmaxresponse.jpg (88.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 22nd January 2003, 07:06 AM   #40
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Having some trouble reading that chart.

It looks like the woofer is at 158 dB @ 70 Hz!

Hide this!Advertise here!