Klason & Strange, folded basshorn, acient design ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2007, 11:25 AM   #31
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Empee
but will you be going for the 10" or the 12" version ?
12", for several reasons. One, I already have 12" drive units that probably work and I don't want to buy new right now. Two, when upgrading from 8" to 12", I began to appreciate the benefits of larger woofers. When upgrading from 12" to 15", I was grinning manically. It's not about loudness, it's a matter of ease and peace. If given the choice between a 10" and a 12" version, I will take 12", without blinking! Mind you, not saying that 10" won't sound nice or work well, it's a personal dogma of mine, loosely based on prior experiences with different enclosures.

Quote:
Originally posted by Empee
ps.
are you going to the Robodock festival ?
Probably not. It's interesting, but not my scene and I have loads to do these coming weeks. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
Old 19th September 2007, 03:15 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivo
due to some idiosyncracies of Sketchup, parts of these drawings are not accurate and the perfectionist in me doesn't like putting stuff out there that is not accurate.
I can relate to that. When i want accurate in SketchUp i always start with my 2D drawings.

dave
Old 20th September 2007, 12:02 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Here's the RT3. I love this design. Beautiful way to fold a horn. If I get the time, I will build one!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th September 2007, 12:08 AM   #34
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hey Ivo - hows your horn do on bowed bass and big drum passages? - those can give reflex (and some t-line) grief - Ive got k-horn and those hit hard on drum but messed up - my Karlson are better

Freddy
Old 20th September 2007, 12:53 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Bowed bass is really excellent, this horn gets timbre and feel just right. Drums are a little subtle. The air displacement is there and all that, but it's not the wild whack you can get with some other designs.

I am wondering whether it's lacking, or other speakers were over-emphasized in the 'kick region' that you love so much. It sounds a bit tame and gentle on my rock and reggae recordings, but the timpani in symphony recordings can knock me out of my listening seat. And sound natural in the process.

I guess the best review is that when I'm playing music, I'm hearing music. This is the first bass section of my system that didn't have a very dominant, degrading sound and influence on the rest.

I like it, it's staying in the system and I want to use some of the key features in future designs!
Old 21st September 2007, 08:27 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Interesting. My girlfriend saw me working on the model and tonight she asked me if she could see the end result. She instantly liked it and had some placement suggestions. This is looking good.
Old 21st September 2007, 08:34 PM   #37
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivo
Interesting. My girlfriend saw me working on the model and tonight she asked me if she could see the end result. She instantly liked it and had some placement suggestions. This is looking good.

Wow, with that approval there's no stopping...
Old 1st October 2007, 11:57 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Another step towards realisation. These horns are large and take careful disguising to disappear in a living room. This is not just a matter of good finishing (veneer!), but also of finding a logical or not disturbing location.

This is a diagram of the use of an older variety. Note how the added cabinets are placed against the horn. I have read reports from German builders, that say it extends the horn in a way and that they were suprised at the improved response of the horn.

I have taken these ideas and am thinking about applications for my own situation. These horns are about the size of my television/hifi rack. It could easily be placed in its place and bear the television. I could add some side cabinets for my equipment. In theory, this looks nice and improves response.

I made a Sketchup drawing of the RT3 in such a configuration. I have one of the RT2 as well, but it clearly is a bit large for the room visually.

There are problems though, as I have a CRT which is sensitive to magnetic fields. I would need to shield the rearchamber of the horn, or shield the driver magnet. Or just get a plasma TV. However, my CRT is great and works fine, so I would rather keep it.

Also, the article recommends placing the horn at 1/3rd of the wall for best sound, not in the middle. It could sound weak, or boomy. Extending the horn and spreading the mouth might make it worse.

This project clearly needs some more planning...
Old 31st March 2011, 06:34 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
Wake wake up I love it anyone still interested??
Old 31st March 2011, 08:47 PM   #40
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbattery View Post
Wake wake up I love it anyone still interested??
FYI: Two later threads concerning the RT2-Horn:

Bass horn driver?

RT-2 Horn sub, the result

b

Hide this!Advertise here!