Newbie Sub Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

The fact that this is my first thread here probably means your all way ahead of me at speaker design. I will get right to the point.

Obvously I am building a subwoofer.I am using components I picked up fairly rock bottom, but which should suffice for my purposes if I can somewhat optimize the configuration.

I picked up a mission 10" part # LF-21083/M7 sub driver. Reviews were not scathing , but for a meagre 30 bucks, hey, I figure it's worth a try. This link gives an idea of the item itself.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EWN:IT&viewitem=&item=170095821355&rd=1&rd=1.

(Sorry for that, my posting skills are somewhat lacking.)

I also corralled a Cerwin-Vega CT-10D subwoofer crossover which supposedly has a range of 120Hz and below. I would like to port this, and drive it with a Pioneer SX-950 receiver on the B channel.

What do you think? Here is a pic of the crossover, any suggestions as to cabinet configuration and size would be extremely helpful.

The crossover has two sets of wires which puzzles me, thinking perhaps they are meant to run parallel drivers?)

I look forward to any and all responses, even good-natured ridicule will suffice. LOL

Regards,
Demondo

Attachments

• 6fa3_1.jpg
    6fa3_1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 430
Still no word from mission. Is there any way to build the box a bit larger than a 10 inch driver would dictate, and then add material to the inside of the box in some form or another to "tune" it?

I know it sounds hokey , but without specs, or equipment to acquire same specs, this project is at a standstill.

Trial and error vs science?

Demondo

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
demondo said:
Still no word from mission. Is there any way to build the box a bit larger than a 10 inch driver would dictate, and then add material to the inside of the box in some form or another to "tune" it?

I know it sounds hokey , but without specs, or equipment to acquire same specs, this project is at a standstill.

Trial and error vs science?

Demondo

You could start with a 30 litre box, with a removable back. If you find it's too big, you could reduce the box size by cutting the box smaller (as in not as deep from front to back). This would work ok for sealed box, but you want ported, right? That would be more difficult, as without the specs, the port length and diameter can't be accurately determined. You could go with 2" PVC pipe cut to different lengths to try to find the best bass response in the 30 litre box.
If you knew the size of the box the driver came out of in the first place, that would help.
If it were me, I'd build a transmission line box for it, ballpark the Fs at around 40Hz. This would give good results, as the TL is not as picky about driver specs.

Moving right along. Sort of.

I have built my box; I based it on the box that the actual driver came out of. At least the driver looked the same; same size, same appearance. Shouldn't be too much of a shot in the dark. It is a downward firing box, 400x365x416. I did not port it as I originally had planned, the Mission sub did not seem to be ported.
I have mounted the crossover, which came from a Cerwin Vega HT-10D subwoofer. It has two pairs of wires, which I am not quite sure how to deal with. I also have a Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp which I am thinking of using in conjunction with the Pioneer SX-950 reciever (pre-out function) to drive the sub.

Will this even work? I don't know, that's what I am asking you fine folks.

Any wiring schematics, set-up for the amp and reciever, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

So far the biggest revelation after all of this for me would be the fact I really need a router. In-laws are quite handy in times of need.

Looking forward to your replies.
Demondo. :)

Complete?

I went with my original plan, and used the B channel of the pioneer sx-950 receiver to drive the thing. Sounds pretty good to me. I may experiment a bit, if anything it sounds a bit "loose". Perhaps some foam in there for damping purposes? Anyway folks thanks for all suggestions, all food for thought, and for future endeavours, valuable input.

Regards.

Re: Complete?

demondo said:
I went with my original plan .......... if anything it sounds a bit "loose".

Hi,
Did you use the passive crossover? That may account (partly) for the looseness you mention. Passive crossovers also eat up valuable power. An active crossover/ low pass filter would be a step in the right direction and as a bonus your amp will effectively present more power to the driver, have more control and be easily tweakable to blend with your system!

You could just buy an 'off the shelf' filter but they are quite easy to DIY if you're up for the challenge.

I'll dig out some links if you're interested.

Regards,
Martin. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.