Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2007, 02:10 AM   #1
demondo is offline demondo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Sub Questions

Hi folks.

The fact that this is my first thread here probably means your all way ahead of me at speaker design. I will get right to the point.

Obvously I am building a subwoofer.I am using components I picked up fairly rock bottom, but which should suffice for my purposes if I can somewhat optimize the configuration.

I picked up a mission 10" part # LF-21083/M7 sub driver. Reviews were not scathing , but for a meagre 30 bucks, hey, I figure it's worth a try. This link gives an idea of the item itself.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...355&rd=1&rd=1.

(Sorry for that, my posting skills are somewhat lacking.)

I also corralled a Cerwin-Vega CT-10D subwoofer crossover which supposedly has a range of 120Hz and below. I would like to port this, and drive it with a Pioneer SX-950 receiver on the B channel.

What do you think? Here is a pic of the crossover, any suggestions as to cabinet configuration and size would be extremely helpful.

The crossover has two sets of wires which puzzles me, thinking perhaps they are meant to run parallel drivers?)

I look forward to any and all responses, even good-natured ridicule will suffice. LOL

Regards,
Demondo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6fa3_1.jpg (15.5 KB, 402 views)
Old 14th April 2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Hi. Are you able to test it to determine the T/S specs.? Without this it will be difficult to design a proper sized box.
Old 14th April 2007, 04:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't have any test equipment available, the only spec on the eBay listing was a DC resistance of 3.2 ohms. After that, I know less than nothing. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here I'm afraid. LOL
Old 14th April 2007, 05:19 AM   #4
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Demon, you should contact the manufacture for the T/S specs. That will allow you to design the proper cab for your sub. Here is their website. Cheers..

http://www.mission.co.uk/
Old 14th April 2007, 11:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I will do what I can, thanks for the link.
Old 15th April 2007, 07:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I had said I posted a pic of the crossover, just so you know I know the differemce , LOL, here's the proper pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebd9_1_b.jpg (32.5 KB, 365 views)
Old 19th April 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Still no word from mission. Is there any way to build the box a bit larger than a 10 inch driver would dictate, and then add material to the inside of the box in some form or another to "tune" it?

I know it sounds hokey , but without specs, or equipment to acquire same specs, this project is at a standstill.

Trial and error vs science?

Demondo
Old 19th April 2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That's a passive crossover. Really it's not going to give you very good results with your drive unit and box. Build something and have fun but next time try and do some research before you buy

As for the drive unit, best best would be to copy the box design that Mission did.
Old 19th April 2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by demondo
Still no word from mission. Is there any way to build the box a bit larger than a 10 inch driver would dictate, and then add material to the inside of the box in some form or another to "tune" it?

I know it sounds hokey , but without specs, or equipment to acquire same specs, this project is at a standstill.

Trial and error vs science?

Demondo
You could start with a 30 litre box, with a removable back. If you find it's too big, you could reduce the box size by cutting the box smaller (as in not as deep from front to back). This would work ok for sealed box, but you want ported, right? That would be more difficult, as without the specs, the port length and diameter can't be accurately determined. You could go with 2" PVC pipe cut to different lengths to try to find the best bass response in the 30 litre box.
If you knew the size of the box the driver came out of in the first place, that would help.
If it were me, I'd build a transmission line box for it, ballpark the Fs at around 40Hz. This would give good results, as the TL is not as picky about driver specs.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Smile Moving right along. Sort of.

I have built my box; I based it on the box that the actual driver came out of. At least the driver looked the same; same size, same appearance. Shouldn't be too much of a shot in the dark. It is a downward firing box, 400x365x416. I did not port it as I originally had planned, the Mission sub did not seem to be ported.
I have mounted the crossover, which came from a Cerwin Vega HT-10D subwoofer. It has two pairs of wires, which I am not quite sure how to deal with. I also have a Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp which I am thinking of using in conjunction with the Pioneer SX-950 reciever (pre-out function) to drive the sub.

Will this even work? I don't know, that's what I am asking you fine folks.

Any wiring schematics, set-up for the amp and reciever, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

So far the biggest revelation after all of this for me would be the fact I really need a router. In-laws are quite handy in times of need.

Looking forward to your replies.
Demondo.

Hide this!Advertise here!