Is it worth cutting a hole in my wardrobe for a subwoofer?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2003, 03:52 AM   #1
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Default Is it worth cutting a hole in my wardrobe for a subwoofer??

I have a 10inch subwoofer, and going by the specs, if I put it in a vented box of 800litres, I should get a response like this..

I currently have it in a "sealed" 50litre box, and it thumps.. but I wanted to stick it in something bigger.. lol My wardrome is about 800litres, so its just teh right size, except its made of 18mm chipboard, will this be strong enough without bracing?? Also, I will need to replace the back, (its 3mm ply) also, I will need to seal around the doors... It'll have 2 ports.. ok? If this a good idea? The sub cost $AU35 from Jaycar, but they don't sell them anymore.. I WANT MORE OF THEM!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wowsers.jpg (74.7 KB, 325 views)
Old 17th January 2003, 05:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Going by the graph, the port doesn't start doing very much work until about 40-35 Hz, and from these frequencies up, it is working basically as a closed box anyway i.e most of the time. Rip your favourite cd to a wave file and then do a spectrum analysis with CoolEdit and see just how little there is below 35 to 40 Hz. If you just gotta have big-boom bass then tune the thing to have an upward sloping response that peaks at say 5 to 7dB (or 10dB like me ) at 30 to 35 Hz. This is what the car noise competition guys do. That way the speaker will be barely moving at these frequencies but your trousers will certainly be flapping in the breeze from the ports. I just didn't realise how low 30Hz really is till I made my subs recently.

Wardrobes? Been there, done that. More rattles than a millionaire's baby. Way way WAY better to make it from scratch.
Old 17th January 2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Banned

yeah, ok, thank for that help... I didn't really want to spend any more money on it... The Subwoofer is most suited to large sealed boxes? Yeah, I knew that... Thats why I put it in a 50litre sealed where most other 10inch subs seem to specify 30litre.. I think I'll just leave it as it is.. I don't use it much anyway... my friend is borrowing it right now anyway..
Old 17th January 2003, 11:51 AM   #4
e96mlo is offline e96mlo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

With only one 10" woofer you wouldn't have heard or felt anything at those frequencies anyway. Need more cone area for that.

/Marcus
Old 17th January 2003, 12:56 PM   #5
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Deja vu

Hi Skinnyboy,

Here's a post I made 12-06-2002 06:38 PM:

Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Quote:
Playing Hendrix reminded me... Post #107

When I was 17, I bought the single "Purple Haze".
When I couldn't hear the bass line well, it spurred me to build a Woofer. Not having many resources, I cut a hole in the top of the wardrobe in my bedroom, and mounted a 15 inch guitar speaker in there. The clothes damped the enclosure well!

Not many people had sub-woofers in the 60's

Cheers,
Old 18th January 2003, 09:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

When I was 17 I wanted to cut a circular hole for a speaker in the floor in the corner of the room for a 3-sided horn sort of. Now I have my own house I can do most anthing I like with it except it's got a concrete slab floor.
Old 18th January 2003, 09:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by e96mlo
With only one 10" woofer you wouldn't have heard or felt anything at those frequencies anyway. Need more cone area for that.

/Marcus

Not neccisarily true. I`m using a set of 10"-ers in 100L undertuned boxes and the speakers don`t give up til under 20hz. About undertuning; I`m not using any absorbers, only diffractors, that gives me a lot more output from the port
And since the port is close to the floor I get a 3db-boost there too

I was watching the movie "Chill Factor" some time ago, when I heard some sub - activity.(a lot!) So I gave some power and enjoied the show, and what a show! On some of the most brutal "thunders" I had to check my woofers, I was allmost shure I was killing them.(have a HUGE poweramp!)
But those tiny 10"-woofers were hardly moving at all, while the 4.5" ports were blowing like vacuum-cleaners! It really sounded like if I`d had a pair of 15-inch subs in the corners, but it really was just that the sourche was DVD and not CD..
Old 18th January 2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Banned

I was also thinking about cutting holes in teh floor.. But I haven't asked, cos for some reason I am pretty sure the answer will be no... dad says the wardrobe is too flimsy... do you think it would be?? People when they are 17 have some VERY crazy ideas... lol
Old 18th January 2003, 10:06 AM   #9
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
dad says the wardrobe is too flimsy
He's probably right. Things have moved on since 1968.
Old 18th January 2003, 10:09 AM   #10
Banned

Should I just do it anyway?? If it doesn't sound right, or I get sick of it, I can just cut another matching hole on the other end of the wardrobe and put grills on them... pretend they are to my cloths can breath or something..

Hide this!Advertise here!