Is it worth cutting a hole in my wardrobe for a subwoofer??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 10inch subwoofer, and going by the specs, if I put it in a vented box of 800litres, I should get a response like this.. :)

I currently have it in a "sealed" 50litre box, and it thumps.. :) but I wanted to stick it in something bigger.. :) lol My wardrome is about 800litres, so its just teh right size, except its made of 18mm chipboard, will this be strong enough without bracing?? Also, I will need to replace the back, (its 3mm ply) also, I will need to seal around the doors... :) It'll have 2 ports.. ok? If this a good idea? The sub cost $AU35 from Jaycar, but they don't sell them anymore.. :( I WANT MORE OF THEM!!!

Attachments

• wowsers.jpg
    wowsers.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 353
Going by the graph, the port doesn't start doing very much work until about 40-35 Hz, and from these frequencies up, it is working basically as a closed box anyway i.e most of the time. Rip your favourite cd to a wave file and then do a spectrum analysis with CoolEdit and see just how little there is below 35 to 40 Hz. If you just gotta have big-boom bass then tune the thing to have an upward sloping response that peaks at say 5 to 7dB (or 10dB like me :cool: ) at 30 to 35 Hz. This is what the car noise competition guys do. That way the speaker will be barely moving at these frequencies but your trousers will certainly be flapping in the breeze from the ports. I just didn't realise how low 30Hz really is till I made my subs recently.

Wardrobes? Been there, done that. More rattles than a millionaire's baby. Way way WAY better to make it from scratch.

yeah, ok, thank for that help... I didn't really want to spend any more money on it... The Subwoofer is most suited to large sealed boxes? Yeah, I knew that... Thats why I put it in a 50litre sealed where most other 10inch subs seem to specify 30litre.. :) I think I'll just leave it as it is.. I don't use it much anyway... my friend is borrowing it right now anyway.. :)

Deja vu

Hi Skinnyboy,

Here's a post I made 12-06-2002 06:38 PM:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6958&perpage=40&highlight=wardrobe&pagenumber=3

Playing Hendrix reminded me... Post #107

When I was 17, I bought the single "Purple Haze".
When I couldn't hear the bass line well, it spurred me to build a Woofer. Not having many resources, I cut a hole in the top of the wardrobe in my bedroom, and mounted a 15 inch guitar speaker in there. The clothes damped the enclosure well!

Not many people had sub-woofers in the 60's

Cheers,

e96mlo said:
With only one 10" woofer you wouldn't have heard or felt anything at those frequencies anyway. Need more cone area for that.

/Marcus

Not neccisarily true. I`m using a set of 10"-ers in 100L undertuned boxes and the speakers don`t give up til under 20hz. About undertuning; I`m not using any absorbers, only diffractors, that gives me a lot more output from the port;)
And since the port is close to the floor I get a 3db-boost there too:rolleyes:

I was watching the movie "Chill Factor" some time ago, when I heard some sub - activity.(a lot!) So I gave some power and enjoied the show, and what a show! On some of the most brutal "thunders" I had to check my woofers, I was allmost shure I was killing them.(have a HUGE poweramp!)
But those tiny 10"-woofers were hardly moving at all, while the 4.5" ports were blowing like vacuum-cleaners! It really sounded like if I`d had a pair of 15-inch subs in the corners, but it really was just that the sourche was DVD and not CD..:rolleyes:

I had to look up the English word for it:rolleyes:

After trying different solutions without any real sucsess I ended up with something much like those Venetian blenders:att'n:

3-5cm(that`s 1-2 inches) deep "blades"(I`ve made them from stiff paper) , directly on the speakerwalls or made as "modules". Be shure they`re "overlapping", the wall behind should be covered when you look at it from a 90-degree-angle.

It`s surprising how effective they are, in a small midrange-box it`s difficult to avoid reflections, but with those acoustic "blenders" on 3 of 5 walls it`s no sign of any echoes.
And it doesn`t sound like you`ve tryed to strangle the driver, like it does by using absorbers.

subs and cooledit

i used cooledit2000.

i couldnt find much info below 38hz let alone 30hz in my *bassy* music.

even my basstest tunes went to 29hz only.

the only use for 20hz subs it seems is HT :p
and organs :-D although alot of subs will make 2nd and 3rd harmonics so that u think u can hear the low notes :clown:

-----------cerwin vega 12-------------

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.