Best amplifier for newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OzMike said:
There was a list of reference amplifiers on a thread here somewhere recently where all the contenders were listed.

With 1.5ohms and low efficiency of the Apogee you would want about 20A current ability and about 300W for it to get up.

Mike

Woah - 300 watts? That's a lot of power!

The Leach sounds nice, except I'd prefer an amplifier with a smaller parts count - preferably using SMD parts.

Hi,
the standard Leach v4.5 uses 2pair of 250W devices.
It will not drive 1.5ohm reactive loads reliably.

The 3pair and 5pair that Jan designed can drive low loads if the design parameters are chosen to suit that duty. The 3pair of 200W To247 only just matches the 2pair To3.

I would be tempted to try twin pairs of drivers and 6pair of 250W devices for those killer speakers.

Anything designed to be reliable with Apogees will not be cheap.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
the standard Leach v4.5 uses 2pair of 250W devices.
It will not drive 1.5ohm reactive loads reliably.

The 3pair and 5pair that Jan designed can drive low loads if the design parameters are chosen to suit that duty. The 3pair of 200W To247 only just matches the 2pair To3.

I would be tempted to try twin pairs of drivers and 6pair of 250W devices for those killer speakers.

Anything designed to be reliable with Apogees will not be cheap.

Yikes!

Anything more affordable out there?

You certainly don't need +/-80V rails for driving 1.5 ohm Apogees.

Even 250W would be plenty and that translates to +/-30V under load plus output stage losses. Then you do not need 10 pairs of 250W output devices, In fact you could do it with 4-5 pair of 10A devices at 50% derating. And your heatsinks wouldn't need to be so big.

There's no need to overbuild as 30V will drive you deaf.

Mike

OzMike said:
You certainly don't need +/-80V rails for driving 1.5 ohm Apogees.

Even 250W would be plenty and that translates to +/-30V under load plus output stage losses. Then you do not need 10 pairs of 250W output devices, In fact you could do it with 4-5 pair of 10A devices at 50% derating. And your heatsinks wouldn't need to be so big.

There's no need to overbuild as 30V will drive you deaf.

Mike

Hmm....so, four output pairs into 2 ohms will work? Sounds good to me.

ruerose said:
I saw lots of good stuff on www.41hz.com

I myself may take the amp-building plunge this year as well.

I'd use a 41hz kit, except none of them will deal with a 2-ohm load very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.