service manual Onkyo TX-SR504? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default service manual Onkyo TX-SR504?

Does anybody have a service manual for this receiver or an idea where I might buy one online?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2007, 08:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default SM Onkyo TX-SR504

I uploaded it to

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/

Michael
Old 11th April 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dankeschön!

PS: I received an error message from Acrobat Reader when I tried to open it directly from Internet Explorer. I saved it to hard disk instead and it opened fine.
Old 16th May 2007, 08:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have bought that receiver now (177€ new), and even out of the box, the sound is quite good. It seems to be the only receiver below €1000 on the market that uses discrete extended beta transistors. Everybody else I have looked at (Sony, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha) use Darlingtons of questionable beta linearity.

The input stages of the Onkyo power stages are not well-balanced (about 8% imbalance I seem to recall). Changing a resistor or adding a current mirror and changing the comp cap will make them into very decent power amplifiers.

The other thing I am suspicious about is the R2S15211 IC that seems to do all analog switching and volume control. This monster thing is controlled by only a data and a clock line if am reading the schematic correctly. So if the protocol was known, I could program a PIC to snoop the commands and implement a decent routing and volume control with relays and a PGA chip.

Michael, the service info you uploaded is schematics only. Do you know if the full manual contains more info about the control of this chip? I would buy the full manual if it did.

Thanks

Eric
Old 16th May 2007, 08:47 AM   #5
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I don't really know the Onkyo models, but i have a full SM for the tx-sr500, would that be of any use ?

Best regards
Ebbe
Old 16th May 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmm, good tip. I found the TX-SR600 manual on the web which uses a analog IC, but the manual does not give info about the interface, so I doubt there will be info in the 504 manual.

After seeing fairly detailed descriptions in Sony and HK manuals, I had hoped...
Old 16th May 2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Renesas might have more info on their site.

/Hugo
Old 16th May 2007, 12:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You are right, this could be a Renesas part. Unfortunately, that partcular part number is not listed. Comparable parts have a typical (!) distortion (not distortion + noise) of 0.005% at 0,3V RMS output at 1k with 10 k load, worst case is stated as 0.05%. Typical and worst at 2 V RMS output are 0.03 and 0.1%.

Unless they are being very conservative, this chip might well be the weakest link in this AV receiver.

All similar parts (6 or 8 channel volume control + input selector) had a three wire interface with clock, data and latch. There were a few I2C devices but those were only stereo.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Actually, I have found R2S15902 which does have a two wire interface. It uses 24 bit control words, and a latch of the previous 24 bits is generated if data is high at the falling edge of clock.

I should be able to verify if my part uses the same protocol. If so, it should be possible to figure out the relevant codes.

Hide this!Advertise here!