How to make I/U conversion with 2SK170

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm not shure where to place this question so I placed it here hoping for help.
I want to make a I/U-converter with a 2SK170 JFET. I've seen, there are some schematics but what I want to now is the math behind to setup the circuit for another DAC. Can someone explain how to do that?
I think it is wise to give a concrete application so let's say my DAC delivers 7.8mA p-p and I want to use +30V for the positive and -30V for the negative voltage rail. So, how to go on?:confused:
Maybe this question is also interesting for other newbies...

Raphael

AudioAngel said:
Hello,

I'm not shure where to place this question so I placed it here hoping for help.
I want to make a I/U-converter with a 2SK170 JFET. I've seen, there are some schematics but what I want to now is the math behind to setup the circuit for another DAC. Can someone explain how to do that?
I think it is wise to give a concrete application so let's say my DAC delivers 7.8mA p-p and I want to use +30V for the positive and -30V for the negative voltage rail. So, how to go on?:confused:
Maybe this question is also interesting for other newbies...

Raphael

For a start you need to know a little more about the dac. You need to know the idle current at bipolar zero. You will also need some idea of the Idss of the FET in question.

Ok, which DAC?
I decided to go for the PCM1794 at the end. But for testing an d building a prototype I want to use the PCM1798, which has only 4mA p-p.
For the PCM1798 the datasheet states out a center current of -3.5mA.
Concerning the Idss: I don't have an own idea. What I know from reading on the web, I think 4.7mA would be a good choice wouldn't it?
Can we go on with these values?

Idss is not a choice but a property of the FET used - FETs have rather variable specs and so either the circuit has to be designed to allow for this or you have to select. A 2SK170 comes in several versions with a wide range of Idss.

So, to contridict myself, you have to choose: an Idss needed based on circuit design and then pick a suitable FET or FETs, or choose a FET and design a circuit to use the Idss of the FET.

I would be thinking common gate, and considering the input signal and the input impedance I wanted as starting points.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.