active shielded speaker cables - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2007, 06:58 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sunrise
Nordic - yes i know - but input voltages of arround +/-50V are rare - i don't know any opamp that can accept this high voltage input that is 100V peak to peak...

i have made a decision - i will try this thing to see if it is working with interconnect cables - if it is working i will try to make it work for speaker cables too...OPA604 or OPA2604 seems to be nice choice for interconnect cables active shielding......
Old 9th April 2007, 07:35 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

The theory is perfectly good and the technique is used in instrumentation as mentioned above. If you can insure zero volts across a capacitor, it effectively disappears. No dielectric absorption either, because nothing to absorb. The trick is the shield signal will have to match the real signal perfectly, in amplitude and phase, and that won't be easy. Remember, if you have a phase error, you'll have a voltage error, nullifying the technique. That means the best shield amp will be identical to your main amp. For HV op-amps, try the various ones made by Apex. Don't know if you'll find enough BW. IMO, the whole thing is probably a waste of time, but it might be useful to prove it to yourself- or make a useful discovery! You could make your own speaker cables, but a lot of people have been down that road, and getting low capacitance and low inductance and low resistance and low skin effect, is tough. Mostly they make expensive products that don't accomplish much. Me, I use heavy zip cord.
Old 9th April 2007, 08:50 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
The theory is perfectly good and the technique is used in instrumentation as mentioned above. If you can insure zero volts across a capacitor, it effectively disappears. No dielectric absorption either, because nothing to absorb. The trick is the shield signal will have to match the real signal perfectly, in amplitude and phase, and that won't be easy. Remember, if you have a phase error, you'll have a voltage error, nullifying the technique. That means the best shield amp will be identical to your main amp. For HV op-amps, try the various ones made by Apex. Don't know if you'll find enough BW. IMO, the whole thing is probably a waste of time, but it might be useful to prove it to yourself- or make a useful discovery! You could make your own speaker cables, but a lot of people have been down that road, and getting low capacitance and low inductance and low resistance and low skin effect, is tough. Mostly they make expensive products that don't accomplish much. Me, I use heavy zip cord.

thank You
i got aware of the "same phase" problem few hours ago....hmm...well, i begin to feel that this might not work after all...APEX is expensive company to my knowledge

anyway - i have some OPA2604 in my junk box and i have some RG coax. cable - i will try it to see... i think all of You and the guys on diyhifi.org forum might be right about this thing but i still want and will try it .... i don't know - i have a feeling it might be o.k. to try it so i will ... i might be crazy for doing that...
Old 9th April 2007, 08:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

How will you know if it "works" or not?
Old 9th April 2007, 09:00 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Well... a lot of inventors were considered crazy in the past.

go ahead....the worst possible result is to conclude things... and maybe some differences related your previous imagination.

And this is positive...one step you will climb to be more distant from the ignorance.

Related the Prisional Institution you already know what i think about.

regards,

Carlos
Old 9th April 2007, 09:02 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffforrest
How will you know if it "works" or not?

i will listen for myself and than go to one friend and make a blind test and to another friend to make another blind test.... if they confirm what i hear than i am on a right or wrong way.....

Carlos - thank You for the encourangement...
Old 9th April 2007, 09:04 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Great!..this is science...not subjectivism

The precision you will obtain from your results will be respectable.

regards.

Carlos
Old 9th April 2007, 09:12 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

But what are you listening FOR?

Just a difference?
Old 9th April 2007, 09:14 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

well, i don't know if this will work at all.... or if i will make what i want to make...would this affect the sound - from my way of thinking probably not but there is this "what if.." that is bothering me ......

anyway thanks for the support .... i will see in few days when i get rid of the Eastern days of eating and drinking what i can do...
i will build the cable that is coaxial in design and same looking as my speaker cables...and also i will make that buffer using OPA2604 and will give a listen to it - with and without active shielding...
with shield to ground and also with active shielding powered on.....than i will know for sure.....
Old 9th April 2007, 09:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffforrest
But what are you listening FOR?

Just a difference?

well, now we started a discuission that i don't want to write...

what we all are listening when we have a new cable in our system - a difference or something else - it is a discussion that is turning us away from the original thematic of this thread.....
of course i don't want to hear a difference
i want a cable that will sound better in my system related the original that i have....this doesn't mean that this will be better for any system....i want to build it for my system and to see if the sound is better or not - i don't want to have a difference - a diff. can be to the better or not ....
i want to have to the better sound....

Hide this!Advertise here!