Plinius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on an Epicure, a old amp that sounded good in it's day and beyond. I like the sound of the Plinius amps. Both amps use an output stage that is asymetrical and uses only npn transistors. Can anyone shed light on what it would take to produce the Plinius sound?
The plan so far is to replace the caps because of age. The transistors will also go because of age and nonlinearness of
devices in those days. Also good signal path caps. The tranny looks good. Hexfreds, new input and output posts...

Any help would be appreciated. After a kit (Grounded Grid),
and a semikit (I bought boards and schematics and went from there) this is my third project.

MKanna

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Workhorse said:
Are you really from Afganistan????
Do you have the right to DIY there???:bigeyes:
Don't you feel scared there????

you didn't saw "location" above his flag ;
besides-question as "do you have right to diy there" can be somewhat insulting.
that is HIS country , and all we can know is what is served with fascist world press system ..........

I know that and have similar xperience living in MY country

Reactions: 1 user
I have perceived that some East European countries are very sensitive

Because of press telling foolishes all time long...things that may not be so kind for some countries...maybe people feel not confortable.... when possible bad things have a responsable..no one can blame a whole country.

I have perceived that some group of people try to keep themselves together...as some protection against something.

But i do not think that "something" exist in real life...only that group "fears" about.

That question about Afeganistan i had in my mind too...because very rare...very difficult to see people from there in our forum.... Workhorse just was faster.... i was thinking to welcome the guy too.

People feel guilty...when they should not, as no one is responsable related things made by their government...we are not here to judge no one....as we (forum guys) do not know the true..and not our business too.

I do not think that people react against some subgroup here....but i could see friendly support..for instance..beeing a french guy posting something....other French folks visit the thread to give him support and to welcome the guy...this makes that thread more visited by french people...this do not means that other countries do not like french people.

Your country may have had some problems in the past times...related world press...news....war...figth.. or some problems now a days...but if we travel to ancient ages, we will feel proud of your country.

A lot of countries, joined in this forum, were enemies in past wars....but not DIY guys that are here..they have nothing related politics.

Atention guys...we are all brothers.... genetics are telling that we ALL come from Africa..even the blue eyes...world is a village.

Sorry the off topic.

regards,

Carlos

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: I have perceived that some East European countries are very sensitive

destroyer X said:
Because of press telling foolishes all time long...things that may not be so kind for some countries...maybe people feel not confortable.... when possible bad things have a responsable..no one can blame a whole country.........................

Carlos

I know that you know Mr.X ......... ;)

regarding these themes- I give no horse pupu what someone think about me or me in my country long time ago;
interesting- my biggest fight in net,even if that things are really not necessary and I learn my lessons from that days, was when I raise my voice against sick American patriotism pointed to all Arabs...........you already guess that this was after Two Towers tragedy............and all that on good old rec.audio.tubes newsgroup.

my main argument was that-even after US bombing of my country, I don't blame American citizens for that act;

but-this is old story...........

what I try to say here - in my first post in thread - it's hard to take any valid conclusion about situation in any country (meaning on local depression etc) having just information from today's world media .

I'm not proponent of any conspiracy theory, I just have generall attitude that today's world is all about power and money.........with non-existent scrupuls...

anyway-'nuff OT from me

elizmkanna said:
I am working on an Epicure, a old amp that sounded good in it's day and beyond. I like the sound of the Plinius amps. Both amps use an output stage that is asymetrical and uses only npn transistors. Can anyone shed light on what it would take to produce the Plinius sound?
The plan so far is to replace the caps because of age. The transistors will also go because of age and nonlinearness of
devices in those days. Also good signal path caps. The tranny looks good. Hexfreds, new input and output posts...

and a semikit (I bought boards and schematics and went from there) this is my third project.

MKanna

I used to own a Plinius SA100MkII power amp that can be switch to class A or class AB. Like you, I like their warm sound. Since getting into DIY, I have build the AKSA100+ and it was an eye opening as the AKSA was mean to drive my rear speaker but end up replacing the Plinius. it has all the good quality of Plinius plus more. Cleaner, better define high and midrange with more weight on the bass. The Plinius can sometime sound a bit 'slow' but not the AKSA100+.
Must say I have not tried or listen to all the DIY kit currently avaiable in the market due to $, time and skill. For someone who know nothing about ohm law, the support given has been excellent.

The company web site: http://www.aksaonline.com/
The forum: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=19

Have fun and welcome to diyaudio!
Sam

p/s My guess is you are a immigrant from Afganistan who now stay in US :D

MKanna

Interesting fact. Perhaps this is the same topology than various totem pole arrangements like Bengt Ollson about
http://www.amplimos.it/images/N-CH1.JPG
but with BjT power devices.
Or similar to that one from there:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...better-audio-non-complements-audio-power.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...e-ended-related-solid-state-output-stage.html
Have anyone a simplified schematic of this Plinius model?

New German Distributor for Plinius Audio

here is the associated website:
Home

The most special feature by these amplifiers are the relatively high bias current values in the output buffer stages in the Class AB-mode so as the paralleling mode by the output power pairs (between three and eight pairs for each channel).
Here this features by all amp models except the multichannel amp "ODEON":

1) Only Class AB models
Model 9200/Hautonga integrated amplifier
idle current 105mA/each channel (+/-70 V, 40A output peak current), three pairs output power BjT's
P-10 power amp
idle current 105mA/each channel (+/-80 V, 40A output peak current), three pairs output power BjT's
HIATO - integrated amplifier (one of the largest integrated amp from the world)
idle current 175mA/each channel (+/-88 V, 50A output peak current), five pairs output power BjT's
SB-301 - Class AB power amplifier
idle current 320mA/each channel (+/-85 V, 100A output peak current), four pairs output power BjT's

Both Class AB and Class A models
SA103 - power amp (2x125W stereo or 1x400W mono at 8 ohms load)
idle current 160mA or 1400mA/each channel (+/-50 V, 50A output peak current), four pairs output power BjT's
SA-REFERENCE - State of the Art power amp (2x300W stereo or 1x1KW mono at 8 ohms load)
idle current 320mA or 2200mA/each channel (+/-85 V, 100A output peak current), eight pairs output power BjT's

In general - there is to feel an exceptionally clear and tight sound without any crispy and harshness effects. Thus a completely effortless and hassle-free music listening is possible.

Try to get this amp devices from your local dealer for your own sound check in your music room in combination with your loudspeakers. I can highly recommend this.

BTW - very special is the top level domain of the home page from New Zealand: "NZLD" (instead "co.nz")
If you use only this term by Google, you will find the Plinius Audio website from New Zealand very quickly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.