Using 120V transformers with 240V supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sangram said:
Yeah but if you have varying loads on the two transformers you will have problems.

True. I should have said.. As long as the total VA being drawn off the secondary side of each transformer is equal, it'll be fine.

To achieve that, assuming that both transformers are near to identical, you could run the secondaries of each transformer in parallel. ie. secondary winding #1 on transformer #1 in parallel with secondary winding #1 on transformer #2 and secondary winding #2 on transformer #1 in parallel with secondary winding #2 on transformer #2.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
240v trannies

Peter,

It should work, but if the trannies are not completely identical (and half a winding secondary may be enough) you will connect in parallel two unequal voltage sources which will cause a relatively high circulating current heating up the tranny for no reason and robbing you of available power.

I would advice to check the loaded output of each secondary and if there is more than a few hundred mV difference, if that is an option, to use each secondary for one polarity of the supply.

Jan Didden

PS I forgot, but I had a similar case where I added one turn to one tranny to get them equal. May also be possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.