Freon cooling an amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the person that started this thread is exploring the possibilities both pro and con. I don't think there is cause for any of the tree huggers out there to get upset and miss out on any sleep.

Basic refrigeration cooling has been done by Sharp Optonica many years ago. I worked on one long ago. It did a remarkable job of cooling. The down side was the added complexity of the design and the cost involved I would assume.

I personally thought about this 25 or so years ago and had a design made up using a medium temp compressor. Is it possible?
yes, but one must still weigh all the pros and cons. Is it environomental friendly? Its probably no worse that the US space program shooting up those rockets all the time.

Part of DIY in my opinion is to grasp the ideas and expand upon them and figure out what works and what doesn't.

I'm not getting upset, anymore. I like this newfound feeling of not giving a you know what.

Keep telling yourself that and sooner or later you will start believing.

Personally, I worry more about the thousands of ICBM's that are on this globe.

Like i'm trying to point out here... there are far worse things than refrigeration chemicals. Its not just R12, or R22 that is responsible for the ozone layer. But then again this thread isn't about that is it?

burnedfingers, the amp you worked on was probably a sony. in the early 80's, sony made an amp that had the output devices in the middle of the amp, and a large heatsink with a "heat pipe" filled with freon going from the aluminum block where the output devices were, to a much larger heatsink on the back of the amp. the temp difference between ends of the heat pipe was supposed to be about 1 degree c, so the output device block temp was kept witin one degree of the heatsink by the freon flow in the heat pipe.......

anybody ever think of using peltier effect devices....... they are diode junctions that soak up heat, convert it to current, and send it to another set of diode junctions, where the current is given up as heat. cooling, as with the sony heat pipe is maintained by the dissimilar relative surface areas of the heat sinks........

a few (or was it more like 10 or 15?????) years ago there was a company making peltier coolers for cpu's...... only problem was it required a 500W power supply for a computer that normally required 250W..... it takes lots of current to operate peltier coolers, but the advantages are that you can just about freeze CO2 with the cold side, if your heat sink surface differential is high enough...... i don't remember if you can actually "pipe" the heat through the wiring, or if you have to have surface contact with the peltier device and both heat sinks......... i'll look it up again.....

found some useful info here.....
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

apparently the ready-made Pentium coolers are no longer available......

how about peltier/vapor phase cooling?..... only problem here would be maintaining the water level....... but no pumps, hoses, etc.... would be required.... except maybe a large reservoir and a siphon.... i've seen rf amps using 4cx1000 tubes that used vapor phase cooling, and it works quite well......
there are 2 types of vapor phase cooling, the first and most obvious being that of using the heat to boil water, and so maintain a constant 100c temp. but that doesn't work well for semis. the second method is forced air evaporation of water, to maintain the temp of the water below ambient temperature, and use the comparatively large specific heat of the water to absorb the heat from the heat sink.

Luxman used heatpipes in their m-02 power-amp.
A theoretical advantage could be you can use a more compact layout of the output-stage (you don't need to spread them across a heatsink for optimum thermal transfer), the heatpipe simply transports the heat to a heatsink placed in a convenient place.
If i recall correctly the m-02 used 4 output-devices, mounted close to eachother on the heatpipe.

=>
http://www.heat-pipes.com/documents/heatpipesv25eng.pdf

best regards,

Klaas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.