For 35A rectifiers, what is maximum without heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You will only draw max current on Power On.
While playing the current are reduced to app. 10A for 8 Ohm speakers at full power.

;)

Attachments

• bridge_temp.jpg
    bridge_temp.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for the graph, ACD! :)
So, by the graph i relize that my rectifier, 35A, can be pushed to deliver some 31 amps without any trouble on 40C summer temp ;)
Ok, mounted a small heatsink ofcourse;)

Other thing about this i want to ask. I have made the amplifier 2x40w runing 6 ohm speaker. Transformer is 2x20V with 4 Amps, for stereo. Rectifier is 35A and does not have heatsink. Is this safe for rectifier? Only 4 amps and no heatsink?:xeye:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
geminni said:
Thanks for the graph, ACD! :)
So, by the graph i relize that my rectifier, 35A, can be pushed to deliver some 31 amps without any trouble on 40C summer temp ;)
Ok, mounted a small heatsink ofcourse;)

Other thing about this i want to ask. I have made the amplifier 2x40w runing 6 ohm speaker. Transformer is 2x20V with 4 Amps, for stereo. Rectifier is 35A and does not have heatsink. Is this safe for rectifier? Only 4 amps and no heatsink?:xeye:

it's easier to drill one hole and fit one screw than to write two posts
:clown:

Hi,
since only 1pair of diodes conduct at a time then the voltage drop is 1.4V.

Peak charging currents are quite high, but assuming an average charging current of 2A, gives an average dissipation of under 3W.

That 3W is easily dissipated on just about any metal plate and allows amplifier consumption of around 200W.

No worries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.