Opamp upgrades - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2007, 11:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Binaural
Default Opamp upgrades

I have an old Peavey XR1200 that i use for summing out of protools and have recently wired it to take advantage of the pre amps (anything is better than the 002's). The chips used in the pre's are the TI RC4558P's. The pre's actually have a decent sound to them although a bit dark for my taste. Is there a better chip that could be popped in there? Also how hard would it be (or worth the effort) to try to integrate some discrete circuitry in there?
Old 14th March 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Almost anything would be better than 4558s!

For starters, in order of cost: LM833, OPA2227, LT1124 would be my first choices for most audio use. All are low-noise bipolar chips with substantially better bandwidth and slew than the 4558. They're drop-in replacements in most applications. The 833 is dirt cheap and has good GBW but has poor low-Z drive capability. The 2227 and 1124 are better at low-Z drive and have much lower offset voltage, but draw more power supply current, and aren't as fast as the 833. The 1124 has the best noise specs and better speed than the 2227, but it ain't cheap.

For summing amps try the OPA2228 or LT1126. They're decompensated versions of the 2227 and 1124 respectively.

You might want to try a video op amp like the LM6172 or LT1358 for the tone controls. The 6172 is cheaper and faster but has higher input noise. The noise is unlikely to be an issue at line levels.

You'll probably get lots of suggestions about using FET input op amps. I prefer to save those for high Z input stages. That said, it's hard to go wrong with the OPA2134.

If you see a uA747 in there, don't replace it!! Peavey's DDT circuit depends on behavior peculiar to a 747.
Old 15th March 2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Peavey 300SC does use some 4580s.
Old 15th March 2007, 03:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

one caveat.... make sure the power supply can handle the new chips.... for instance, 5532 op amps replacing 4558, or worse TL072 op amps in quantity can nuke a power supply designed to handle the 4558 or tl072 load. make sure you check the operating current of the new op amp against that of the old one, and allow for that by beefing up your power supply if neccesary.
Old 15th March 2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

4558 have very significant output levels, even at low supply rail voltages compared to almost everything out there.

have to agree opa2132/4 should be known as the the little Fet that could. But, it still looses in the getting close to full rail output area...
Old 15th March 2007, 05:18 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Don't even think about video opamps in a Peavey mixer, the layout and power supply bypassing aren't good enough.

The biggest improvement will come when you replace all the electrolytic caps in the signal path and bypass them with a small film type. There are about ten per channel in the MKIII mixers, only a few less in the XR series.

I removed about 200 electrolytics in the signal path of a 16 ch MKIII and replaced with only 3 (per channel) good film types. The 4558s were replaced with TL072s (this was in 1980). The MKIII had a 5534 for the mic input, that stays.
Old 15th March 2007, 08:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't know much about opamps but I just replaced an LT1012 chip in a DC nulling circuit in my dc coupled gfa-565 and the specs on the OP97 that I used supercede the LT1012 and other OP07 chips. Although the opamp used in my application is purely to null out DC offset, the OP97 was suggested by Walt Jung (a diyaudio.com member) in that it uses significantly less power than an OP07 op-amp.

In addition, I have seen some Burr-Brown units that are quite pricey and look well-built: Burr-Brown opamps

Has anyone had any experience with Burr Brown op amps?
Old 15th March 2007, 09:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The 2132/4's mentioned above are Burr Browns, but since they were developed, BB was bought by Texas Instruments. IIRC, the 213X family was the first; since then there are several BB's/TI that are descendants of the original design. They were designed specifically for high quality audio, and listening was part of the design process. (What a radical notion!)
Old 16th March 2007, 06:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Binaural
wow, wasn't expecting so much interest for such and old junker. i actually obtained this for free from an old church system and starting using it since the relatively long throw faders. This seems to be a luxury on mixers nowdays. djk, i actually did consider just recapping the whole bugger since it would do me better since i use the pre's relatively little.
As far as the power supply was concerned, it is going to be rebuilt so i can adjust it for any of the voltage/current requirements of the chips i finally decide on.
The summing opamps were the next to go, so thanks for jumping the gun on that one. As far as the sound of these new chips... i usually have 2 standards for rating the sound of equipment...API for the fast in your face sound and Neve for the smoother laid back sound. Where would you rate those chips you recommended chucko? I will get to the complete tear down of this board this weekend and will include pics of the progress.
Upgrades I will be including are:
new chips for pre's
recap
summing chips
addition of VU style analog meters
balanced outputs (transformer)
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 16th March 2007, 06:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default drop in replacement

Hi all,

what timing as I had a question on the subject of replacing one op amp for another. I'm very new at this but understanding more with each project and using the search feature of this site.
Chucko, you said that there was a handfull of op amps that were a 'drop in replacement' for the RC4558. I understand that you would have to make sure the replacement's operating range fell within the supplied voltage/current of the circuit but aren't there other spec that must be looked at and compensated for in the circuit or is that implied here? Or is the 4558 so bad that replacing it with a wad of bubble gum would be an improvement? << that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are ....
I'm curious because I just finished one of the flavors of a CMoy headamp using an OPA2134. To test the difference in sound I want to try some other ops like the opa2227 but I would have thought the original circuit would have to be tweeked to accommodate the replacement. (such as feedback loop, etc.)
Yes, I'm reading data sheets but not always understanding what's relative to the project.

Hide this!Advertise here!