What amp should I build? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2007, 04:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What amp should I build?

Hello everyone I am interested in building my own amplifier. I have only had experience using solid state amps. NAD, ADC, Yamaha primarly. What are the differences between solid state, pass labs, chip amps, and tripath amps (like ones from 41Hz.com)? Which ones are the best to get the most power, cleanest power, and authority in the lowend frequencies? At 41 hz they have one that does 200 watts at 8 ohms for like only 85 bucks? Do these produce true power? Also on whatever amp you guys suggest, what amps (as far as quality goes) in the mainstream field do these DIY amps compare to?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help

Dan
Old 12th March 2007, 06:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default DIY reference designs

Not so long ago someone came by and asked for a list of reference amplifier designs from the diy folks here. THIS thread was generated in response.

I don't know if it helps you but perhaps it is worth a look? The first post on the thread is the result of the entire thread behind it. I think it is a good "snap-shot" of some choice options available. Have a look see.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Hide this!Advertise here!