Why no Pre-amplifier forum? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Why no Pre-amplifier forum?

I wonder why a forum dedicated for pre-amplifier is not available. Most amplifier design books are 100 % for power amp. Is it because an active pre-amp no longer necessary? Line out from digital source is high enough to drive power amp directly with a passive pre-amp (volume control).
Old 9th March 2007, 01:16 AM   #2
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

They are already covered under either Solid State or Tubes. Your choice.
Old 9th March 2007, 01:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Maybe because our audio sources are already pré amplified

as you already have concluded.

Almost everything you have, as audio sources, have something near 1 Volt of audio output...so...they match almost all power amplifiers...the need of pre amplifier is reduced to old turntables and the need to adjust bass and treble...and also this need is reducing as some people avoid to use, prefering to listen a flat system.

Other reasons may come.. will be interesting to read other guy's ideas about it.

In my personal use.... to compare amplifiers...to construct and compare them.... i have never used pré amplifiers, reason why i do not see interest on them...i think that each audio stage removed the better will be the sound... this is what i think about.

But i know a lot of people that use pré amplifiers and they explain that need in many different ways.

regards,

Carlos
Old 9th March 2007, 05:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

actually there are many uses for preamps. switching between multiple sources, supplying gain and equalization for phono inputs, volume control, tone control (if that's what you want, mono/stereo switching. preamps also extend cable life, go ahead, try plugging and unplug cables every time you want to listen to a different source (with what some spend on cables per year one could pay for several preamps).
also there's tape loops for tape decks and other recording media. with modern preamp technology, distortion and noise really isn't a problem.
Old 9th March 2007, 05:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As per Unclejed,with addition to running multiple amplifiers

Hide this!Advertise here!