IGBT amplifiers - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2008, 09:17 AM   #41
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I own several old Forte Model 4's and I can say with no reservations that they continue to compete with today's best offerings.
I can agree with Mike! I've got a Soderberg-modified Forte Model4, which I'll compare to any solid state amp made today. Its combination of detail and sweetness, along with a wide, deep soundstage make it a contender -especially at the used prices you can find them for nowadays.

Just my 2 cents...

-chas
Old 16th January 2008, 06:51 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

The amp although uses slow IGBTs, but the application requires only subwoofer use.........For Full range, we have Hi-speed IGBT as well
Old 12th August 2010, 10:00 AM   #43
celsosc is offline celsosc  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hello, I would like to recover this older topic again.

Now with new Hi-Speed IGBT´s on the market, I was wondering if someone is using IGBT's in a H-Bridge configuration for high Power Sub-woofer amplification or even was use successful for Full-range amplification.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:09 PM   #44
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

John Linsley Hood published a comparison of IGBT, MOSFET and BJT's when used in an identical amplifier. It was commissioned by Toshiba in order to show of their complementary IGBT's (App. note X3504)
The result was that MOSFETS had by far the lowest distortion followed by BJT's and then IGBT's. The only area that the IGBT's won was in maximum output power at clipping.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:46 PM   #45
celsosc is offline celsosc  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hello jez,

I was thinking IGBT's specific in class D operation. The new WARP2 devices from IR can handle switching up to 150khz. Having this devices in a full bridge operation would give massive output power.

Maybe I should post in the Class-D subsection.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:12 AM   #46
milosz is offline milosz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default IGBT amp: Forte 4a

I have a Forte 4a with the Soderburg mods (black gate caps, and I think different (faster) rectifiers, and better output lugs.)

It sounds GREAT on my Quad ESL-57's, best solid-state amp I've heard on them.

The Forte 4a is easily as musical as any modern SS amp I've heard, and I've gotten to audition quite a few of the "famous names" and the "obscure niche amps" in this system, which is equipped with a level-matching A/B power amp comparison switch. I'm sure Nelson Pass is right and part-matching must be a pain, but there's something about the sound that is just "right." Maybe the harmonic spectra? I dunno.

Best $800 I ever spent, that forte 4a. It made a friend who just dumped $15,000 into some Uber-amp cry when he heard the Forte 4a sounding clearly better.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:24 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersma View Post
Hi,

This IGBT amplfier was published some years ago by Elektor.
The specs of this amplifier were quite good according to measurements done by Elektor.
best regards,
Piersma
Not only here some guy's claim, IGBT's are first choice for audio output power stages.
Check out in this case also this thread:
Successors for Toshiba's IGBT's GT20D201-GT20D101 used e.g. in Elektor's CFB Amp

Who can post an overview of currently available types suited for this application?

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 29th September 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!