"reference" level preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there one in a kit form good reader?

I used to have sphinx project two mk2 preamplifier and i liked the way it sounds: smooth & fatique free but still very detailed.

but i was bloody stupid and sold it away... Now i have to replace it with something as good hopefully.

I almost bought 2200€ (2900$) sphinx project eight preamplifier as a used, but my senses got better to me.

Help me here, i'm starting to be desperate

You should explain what "bloody stupid" means relating to preamps. Apparently it doesn't stop them from sounding good.

Maybe you should have kept yours and worked upon its intelligence :)

Not being a big kit fan i can't show much enthusiasm for a reference level kit. It will end up costing quite a bit and with very low resale value. When reference quality is concerned nothing beats second hand a few years old.

Still, if you really must go for a kit, Borbely seems to offer genuinely high-end designs.

analog_sa said:
You should explain what "bloody stupid" means relating to preamps. Apparently it doesn't stop them from sounding good.

It means me related to preamps, as i said:" but i was bloody stupid and sold it away... " Should have kept the little quy, but anyway:

What would you prefer then if not using kits? Resale value is no object. Second hand few years off is not option here, too few preamplifiers here for too much money asked.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Machmat has some very simple pre, buffer or with gain and even with tubes - or aussie SKA is said to work ok - or my country fellow man Dantimax - Thel in Germany, both tube and solid - or maybe Burson Audio Buffer - or Gabes (Gabevee) simple ss pre wit tube sound(?), which dont seem to get finished ever, only hard to read schematic, but you might email him

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.