Variac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats your application ?

You want to use a variac and thermistor ? Are you sure you don't mean a Varistor ? These are often used for surge limiting.

They are also referred to as MOV or Metal Oxide Varistor.

They go across the AC line and are rated for the working voltage (120-240 vac) and have a clamp voltage above this working voltage.

http://www.littelfuse.com/varistor.html

What are you trying to do ? Maybe I can point you in the right direction..

Make this one DIY power supply with variac and many auxiliaries to get a full control.

Attachments

• variac.jpg
    variac.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 388
You can check the datasheet of the NTC yourself:

http://www.thermometrics.com/assets/images/cl.pdf

It's rated at 5A so you will be limited to 600W or 1100W load depending on whether your mains voltage is 120V or 230V.

The datasheet states the inrush energy whitstanding capability of the NTC in terms of maximum capacitor bank size for off-line SMPS applications. 5000uF charged with rectified 120V AC will hold 72 joules, so that's the amount of inrush energy that this thermistor can whitstand. I can't determine whether this is enough or not for your variac, as in a worst case situation a transformer will appear as a dead short during every other mains half cycle for a short period of time after power up. Half a 230V 50Hz cycle on 10 ohms already makes 53 joules, but the real figure will be much higher because the resistance will decrease drastically during the half cycle due to self heating.

I think that NTC thermistors are intended to charge capacitor banks only. For transformer startup, a ballast resistor bypassed by a relay or a triac is probably going to be a more reliable solution. However, a higher resitance lower current NTC (or several NTCs in series) bypassed by a relay or a triac should be fine too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.