Marantz PM 7200 problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a "Newbie", and by no means an "Audiophile", but I'm trying to change that!

I just acquired a used Marantz PM7200. (It was a gift, and had "about 30 hours use") The person I got the unit from is very knowledgable concerning audio equipment...but this stumps both of us. The unit is basically brand new, and has not been abused. It worked perfectly, before I hooked it up. It seems simple, BUT...

When I hook up a CD player to the CD inputs, I can only get sound when the "Source Direct" button is "On". This disables the Bass, Treble and Balance controls. There is nothing else hooked up to the amp. I've tried about every combination of button pushing possible. I can't even get sound through the headphone jack with the "Source Direct" on.

The sound is absolutely awesome, but it doesn't seem right that the unit will only function in one mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Allen T

Thanks, Hugo. I have the manual.

The only thing I haven't tried is moving the connector pins in the "Processor" jacks. I have no idea if this would help...but I'll try anything at this point.

The pins are connected horizontal in the processor jacks. Like this:

O----O <---processor Jack

O----O <---processor jack

I doubt if changing them to vertical would matter.

ATucker

This is what I found in the troubleshooting section on page 8 of the manual:

"Indicators light, but the amplifier does not operate.
1. Check the SELECTOR and VOLUME settings.
2. Check to see if the supplied connecting pins are correctly inserted
into the PROCESSOR IN/OUT jacks."

This doesn't exactly cover the problem, but I have no idea if the connecting pins are inserted correctly, in the first place. The friend that gave me the unit asked if the pins were inserted horizontally or vertically. He said horizontal is correct.

I'm stumped, but I bet it is something so simple, it is being overlooked. At least I HOPE that's what it is!

ATucker

More problem

I have more trouble with my Marantz MP-7200.
At the first ~10 min the stage and the bandwidht is fine but after both of them are degraded dramatically (for me dramatically). I tryed modify 7200 and separete the PWR amp and drive it with preamp of other manufacturer. The result is same so the problem located in pwramp. The result are same at A and at A+B mode.
nono.gif
Of corse the idle current and the DC offset well adjusted. The supply voltage (DC) is fine too.
10.gif
Only anomaly I can detect the shield for the drive part of PWR amp (7251, 53, 55, 57, 59 and 7252, 54, 56, 58, 60) is very hot independently from output power.
Anybody has the same problem like me and maybe has solution for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.