DIY 200w amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi fellas,
I've scoured the pages and even tried searching but have not found wat i'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 150w or more power amp output at 8 ohms and bi-wiring option cos my speakers can be bi-wired.
I'd appreciate it if sumone were to pass me a schematic and/or PCB design.

sorry if my requests seem badly phrased...i'm a newbie 2 this.

i've sum ideas, I'd like to use Mosfets (I guess they're gd from wat i read), Toroid Transformers. Would regulating the power supply help? is there a circuit design for tt?
But of course, i'm young n starry eyed, so pls correct me if i'm wrong. U all r e experts....

rgds

more info needed?

There really isn't a single good answer to your question...you can get where you want via Aleph, Krell, Leach, BPA200, lots of others too, all these designs are represented here...see below

Depending on which you choose you will need more or less components, larger or smaller heatsinks, power supplies etc. You might consider starting smaller for educational purposes...

You can make a class A amp which will drive 150w into an 8ohm load, but it is a big undertaking since this amp constantly dissipates 2-4 times more heat than it's maximum output. The Aleph and Krell amps are class A amps that sound great, but burn lots of power to do their work. Both of these designs can be scaled to the level you require.

Then there are class AB amps that dissipate much less power, and consequently can be built on a more 'normal' scale, they dissipate about as much power as they push into the load, so some of the expensive components can be smaller. IIRC The Leach amp in it's double barrelled form can do 150w, there are others, including the BPA200, which is 4 or 6 smaller chipamps paralleled and bridged to give the final result.

Another option is found in class D modules that are available from Hypex, Coolamps, 41hz etc. These can be so efficient no heatsink other than the case walls are needed. Often the power supply can be smaller, since little power is wasted.

Any of these built carefully will sound great.

HTH

Stuart

blondfire said:
hi fellas,
I've scoured the pages and even tried searching but have not found wat i'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 150w or more power amp output at 8 ohms and bi-wiring option cos my speakers can be bi-wired.
I'd appreciate it if sumone were to pass me a schematic and/or PCB design.

sorry if my requests seem badly phrased...i'm a newbie 2 this.

i've sum ideas, I'd like to use Mosfets (I guess they're gd from wat i read), Toroid Transformers. Would regulating the power supply help? is there a circuit design for tt?
But of course, i'm young n starry eyed, so pls correct me if i'm wrong. U all r e experts....

rgds

Your choice to use mosfets is really preference. There are about the same number of people in each camp (mosfet v bipolar).

Torroids are a good choice because of their size to power ratio and lower radiated field. My preference is for an unregulated supply, in my opinion unregulated supplies sound better in AB amplifiers. Do not skimp though on the size of the transformer or filtering section.

Also to consider is whether you build from a kit or source everything yourself including making the PCB's (or having them made for you). Generally for a first build a kit might be better.

Finally there are some good designs to be found here. If you decide to build one of mine send me an email for the latest versions.

Cheers
Quasi

All hail master quasi !

One of the most important criteria I would consider in amp building... just like buying new computer is ... Support.

And the best source is from the designer itself... Mr. Quasi ... excellent and very professional... backed by people who've successfully constructed; ex.Tomwaits, LuigiDJ, Zeonrider, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.