Transformer: How large?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Redeye,

I meant no disrespect to the Crown amp and I have absolutely no experience with it. My point was meant to be that a PRO amp designed to withstand years of abuse, being on the road and having all sorts of protection built in might not have been designed with sound quality as the first design goal which sometimes is the goal for the DIYers here. IMHO home audio at the high-end is not exactly the same as standard PRO gear. They might even sound different...

PS. The THD spec tells me absolutely nothing about the sound quality of the amp. I am most likely not alone in that.

Hi

I found that PDF file I linked to while wondering about the power consumption of our College union PA rig. We have 2 Crown 2402's, a 3600VZ, and a 5002VZ in a quad-amped system. We tested the mains current consumption of the amp rack with loud dance music and pink noise. The amps only drew a maximum of 10A (from a single phase), which was much less than we had expected. Addmittedly this was with efficient horn speakers, but the bass amp was current limiting.

I was also suprised to see how physically small the transformers in the 5002 were while I was cleaning the air filters. Maybe we are being a bit overzealous in spec'ing our transformers? I'd love to hear the results of a listening test.

See ya,
Tim.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.