Suggested line level stage. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2007, 09:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suggested line level stage.

Simple. Symmetrical. No output offset.
For tube or SS source. Gain options.

I'm in no position to construct or audition this circuit, but it is similar to ones that already work well with the GEM amplifier.

Have fun .......... Graham.

http://gmweb2.net/
Attached Images
File Type: gif buffer.gif (13.2 KB, 528 views)
Old 24th February 2007, 10:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default I am very happy to see you here dear Graham.

Pretty schematic.

You are invited to visiting my thread.

I will feel myself honored by your presence there.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0001.jpg (57.6 KB, 319 views)
Old 25th February 2007, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Hi, Mr. Graham Maynard,

Nice to see you again Where have you been?
Old 25th February 2007, 02:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I am very happy to see you here dear Graham.

Quote:
Originally posted by destroyer X

Pretty schematic.

You are invited to visiting my thread.

I will feel myself honored by your presence there.

regards,

Carlos
Here in India, we have a Xerox copy of Carlos...

Click the image to open in full size.

Good wishes to Graham!
Great to see you in the forum..

Kanwar
Old 25th February 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the welcome Guys.

Carlos' threads have been fun recently, and thus I thought I would share an already good sounding circuit topology not similar to anything I have recently seen published during my recent behind scenes lurking at diyAudio.

As Carlos has clarified - it does not take the most clever of circuits generating the lowest possible distortion figures to produce genuinely satisfying audio.
Yet there still appears to some who would comment on this and who have not actually auditioned the results of what they suggest, but base their knowledge on thd measurements etc rather than the *nature* of any eventual reproduction.

Low thd does not necessarily equal good sound. Besides, Carlos already knows so many ways by which he could reduce amplifier distortion, but deliberately chooses to NOT include them because they make the amplifier sound worse.
He also has a pair of extremely sensitive ears with which to test his developments. No not those filtered by hair as in the photo above, but those belonging to his daughter; fresh young female ears that cannot be fooled by a subliminal understanding of electron paths and circuity activities.

Due to pains of my own and serious family illness with on-going day to day problems, I had to get away from the distractions and stresses caused by some 'contributors' here at diyAudio who think they knew what I should be doing in order to develop 'successful circuitry', especially those who argued instead of helping by example, or who gave themselves the right to personally insult or imply (when not even knowing) that this contributor lacks the understanding they think I should have.
There is always more than one way of addressing technical problems, and not all contributors know what any individual might be attempting to achieve when they develop circuitry on this forum.

As Carlos has recently stated in his own thread - if we were to implement the suggestions of others then our finished designs would end up sounding as *they* want, and not as those of us who are actually hands-on doing the work that we want to acheive for reasons known only by ourselves, but which might not be clear to those who jump in feet first.

There - that's my SPLATT !

My reason for showing the gain-buffer circuit is because a humble non differential two stage with what is effectively single stage AF NFB can sound if not measure good, and this external auto biasing arrangement allows balanced NPN-PNP class-A push-pull operation which reduces operational assymetry without increasing path complexity.
Old 25th February 2007, 09:43 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Graham,
what are the voltages at the ends of the 470r resistors?

I am having trouble trying to understand where the various currents are flowing.

If the bias is set to 60mA then what current flows through each of it's mirror partner bc 547, through the 470r, through the input BC547, through the 22r and finally through the 2sa1358?
Old 25th February 2007, 09:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew.

The input transistors are separately current biased to save using diodes or diamond arrangements that rely upon biasing current from the ouput stage.
Thus the emitter voltage of the input NPN is pulled negative of the zero input via a NFB divider, and the output self biases relative to this.
A bit of juxtapositon -
Old 25th February 2007, 09:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default For sure this guy can be confused with me...despite he is younger and handsome.

But really, those nature accidents happy....i cannot ask my daddy if he had visited India, as Daddy gonne.

But maybe this guy daddy had visited Brazil.

hehe...brother!

regards,

Carlos

.................................................. ....................

Well said Graham.... i am happy and very surprised that
my english could communicate clearly those things.

If i enter the include suggestions, the amplifier will not have my face anymore....and that's what i was trying to say.

Also, the second most important things i have posted there, and you understood Graham, is that those modern CCS, mirrored and sophisticated circuits, normally sounds not good..stérile..something alike food without salt..or pretty girls that are not sexy...you understood.

The exception i have to say is Michael Bittner, and the difference is because he was listening to evaluate, comparing to evaluate all time long...so....modifications, corrections and everything he did was made listening, not only as result of thougths or simulations.... he tried...also he tried JLH....and he gonne to beat JLH amplifier and his own amplifier, a good, expensive, and famous one....he could do that i have to say.... a not simple, not minimalistic amplifier that sounds good, even beeing complicated (in my view)...having many parts...i see his amplifier as a wonderfull exception...as himself, as a man, is an exception too...as he joins the designer, the listener, the audiophile and the researcher.

Much better than that...he is cold...you cannot put batteries on him...even having good heart, beeing a tender young man, he is cold not to be bothered with those bricks that entered his thread to disturb or send mud on him.... so...you can see how much success he had.

We go learning dear Graham...also that you are still damned with things happened here in the past, as you have posted without sign...this is clear to me that you have one leg inside and the other leg out of our forum.

Welcome...and use, please, that ignore button...this feature is perfect, having really bricks disturbing or even and we misunderstood them...better not to fight...ignore and go ahead.

Bricks...as their brother in pronunciation, have the characterist to come and go.... also bricks, the real construction material, sometime will be fixed beeing a wall..something so intelligent as they are....a wall!

Workhorse...tell me if this handsome guy travel to Brasil...and i will have to lock my wife...he is a better constructed version of ME

regards,

Carlos
Old 25th February 2007, 10:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: For sure this guy can be confused with me...despite he is younger and handsome.

Quote:
Originally posted by destroyer X
But really, those nature accidents happy....i cannot ask my daddy if he had visited India, as Daddy gonne.

But maybe this guy daddy had visited Brazil.

hehe...brother!

Workhorse...tell me if this handsome guy travel to Brasil...and i will have to lock my wife...he is a better constructed version of ME

regards,

Carlos
Hi Carlos,
Heheheeee...might be your brother Carlos
He is Vijay Mallya,
owner of Kingfisher Beers and Airlines.....

Visit this link
http://search.msn.co.in/images/resul...Vijay%20Mallya

You are indeed a very good and humble man....
We all love you here on the forum...

regards,
Kanwar

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th February 2007, 11:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Incredible...we can be confused in the streets.

Thank you Kanwar...i also apreciate you very much..you are one of those ten plus...forum hiper nice guys.

regards,

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!